Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Hansesn\'s call with his T8d? Whats going on?

I luv ya TW, but

I agree! There are a few too many rich folk in poker...

I can't agree. I want to sit down with as many stupid rich people as I can. I hope Ben Affleck sits down at my table some day.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:24 PM

but if a game is worth your time to sit down and play, its worth your best effort.

Sounds like you were reading a chess book.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:20 AM

Hi mtdurham,

[ QUOTE ]
Pot odds? This is a tournament not a ring game, take your pot odds elsewhere. We're talking about the two chip leaders when its down to 4-5 players. He probably wasn't getting the odds he needed even if he knew he was up against 67 suited. The only way he'd be correct to make this call is if he knew he had the hand dominated (like 10,6 or 8,9).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong for a couple of reasons. First, pot odds matter in tournaments. While in some situations it may be better to pass on a marginally +EV play because of stack equities, in general you take the +EV plays where you can get them. In this situation, Gus is getting almost 2:1 on his call, as a 6:5 underdog. If he knows he's against a middle or small pair, then the race is clearly +EV.

Second, unlike most tournaments, this was a winner-take-all satellite. There is no difference between 2nd place and 6th place. In that situation, it's plays exactly like a cash game, in that you should take every +EV decision, no matter how marginal. The lone exception would be if it were down to three players, and you were positive you were much the best heads-up player remaining. Then it might be worthwhile to pass on a marginally +EV decision, in order to take advantage of your heads-up superiority.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tired of these guys that are independently wealthy pretending to be poker pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds to me like it translates to: "I'm jealous of these guys who are independently wealthy and can afford to play the big games when I'm stuck playing small-stakes. No one gets a chance to see how great I am...."

Cris
Old 09-11-2004, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He probably wasn't getting the odds he needed even if he knew he was up against 67 suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about the most rediculous statement I have seen on these boards in a long time.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:58 PM

I think Gus called just so he could see the look on Antonio's face when he did. That was probably worth about 25K right there.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:24 AM

actually if I have T8 in that exact situation and antonio flips over, I call in a heartbeat.
Why?
1. You are getting 5/3 on your money.
2. It is a winner take all event.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:34 AM

Default I agree it was not a bad call, and here is why

I agree. I really don't think it was a bad call.
It is winner take all and was getting I believe 1.6-1 on his money (somebody else said 1.8-1, so maybe that is correct).

The agonizing that Antonio was doing allowed him to get rid of many hands. AA-TT, AK, AQ..maybe even AJ and 99.
So the other hands he has to worry about are AT, A9, KQ (I don't see Antonio calling with that), and smaller pocket pairs (but 88 is highly unlikely).
He is most worried about AT. The rest of the hands other than KQ and 88 he is getting odds on..overall he is somewhat easily getting odds on.

He is also far and away at his best as the chip leader, so there is additional value to going for it here. If he folds Antonio as a 2-1 chip lead on him, so his likelihood of winning really goes down. And Antonio is also great with a big stack.
I think this last part less went into his thinking..just the range of hands based on Antonio's reaction.

I'm not going to lie and say I'd make the call..but I think it wasn't too bad.

On the flipside, I did think he overplayed KJ both times.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:21 AM

10-8 is almost the same odds as if he had A-K against the 7's. The odds for over cards against pairs are almost the same regardless of the value. 4-5 against 2-2 is almost the same as A-K vs Q-Q. Odds of overpairs vs underpairs are almost the the same. A-A vs K-K is almost the same as A-A vs 2-2.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He called $40 with 2 3o.
Button said AQ had him killed, whats going on with poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know but it sounds fantastic.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Give me a break on READS, you have T8s, it's a gamble play . end of story....

READING is over rated and over used excuse for BS on here.... I am fed up!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were to replace the word reads with the word tells then I may be behind you on this one. But to dismiss reads or their role in poker is crazy. Being able to read hands is essential and with some practice and experience you can put people on a range of hands pretty effectively if you're paying attention.