Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Marginal Hand #1

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how raising the turn can be correct. You have 3 players to act after you, including the player that 3-bet pre-flop and has been aggressive throughout the hand. You probably don't have the best hand, and the odds that everyone will fold is minute.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:33 PM

Hi brick,

Your hand is too good to fold, so you have to raise. Knock out those overcards and give yourself the best possible chance to take down this large pot. After all, this is why you smooth called the flop, right? The turn wasn't a perfect card, but it was pretty good (any diamond, a 6, an ace, would have been worse).

It probably would have been better to just raise the flop and face the filed with two cold. You'll probably knock out enough hands like JT that it's not worth waiting for the turn to protect your hand.

You could also consider raising preflop.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 08-14-2004, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get 3-bet, you can fold or call 1 more to see the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. You were doing so well up to this point. Folding to a 3-bet would be a huge mistake.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:43 PM

Funny how no one has mentioned that UTG+2 limp-reraised after one limper, meaning that at a Party 2/4 game, he could have...just about anything. I would jump at the chance to piggyback a raise onto his flop bet, and to try to push out as many overcards as possible, including SB's possible Slick.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:27 PM

A flop raise gives everyone in the hand a minimum of 11:1 to call 2 cold. No one is folding overcards b/c they are getting correct odds to draw to them. Even single Aces and Kings are correct to drwa b/c they can count on some implied odds if they hit.

A turn raise would better serve you're purpose of knocking people out. You may be way behind but you have too much hand to fodl in this big pot so raise the turn. If 3 bet call the it and fold on the river unimproved.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: RESULTS Marginal Hand #1

Good discussion... Seems like the concensus is call pre-flop and get a raise in to knock people out.

The limp-reraise was a bit scary, but as chesspain pointed out, at pary 2/4 it could mean anything. So, I called the flop bet with the intention of raising the turn.
UTG+2 bet the turn, I raised and everyone folded. (hey, that trick works sometimes...)

The river was the 4c.

We both checked the river, but this time he showed TT and took it down.