Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 01:07 AM

Default Marginal Hand #1

Help me play this marginal hand....

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (19 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero ????</font>
Old 08-14-2004, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Marginal Hand #1

You're cold calling 2 bets and you're outta position. You must fold pre-flop.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:39 AM

"You're cold calling 2 bets and you're outta position. You must fold pre-flop. "

i agree. also, if you are gonna call 2 cold here to see a flop, raise his bet. calling is horrible. check-raise will probably get him to fold on turn if he has ak and he doesn't improve. you might even want to fold the flop. i would check-raise, however.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're cold calling 2 bets and you're outta position. You must fold pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

His cold call is warranted here. He is already invested in the pot with 4 others before the action even reaches the blinds. There is so much action and opponents calling that not seeing a flop would be a mistake, even when facing 2 bets cold. Hero's implied odds for flopping a set would more than make up for any fractions of bets (although I doubt any) lost preflop.

Haupt_234
Old 08-14-2004, 11:13 AM

He got 17:2 on his preflop...
Old 08-14-2004, 12:00 PM

You must fold pre-flop.

Way wrong answer.

He limped and called a raise. He did not cold call two. He limped and correctly called a raise.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:58 AM

The pre-flop call is good.

Raise the flop. The pot's big, you have an overpair that very might well be the best hand. You really want overcards to fold. The guy betting is the pf aggressor so he doesn't necessarily have a made hand and he's betting right into you so you can give the whole table the old barnacle scraper.

I guess waiting to raise til the turn is maybe ok, but that's too creative for me. I'm a simple man and I want to raise NOW. After all, the turn might be a J or something.

/mc
Old 08-14-2004, 01:27 PM

A flop raise gives everyone in the hand a minimum of 11:1 to call 2 cold. No one is folding overcards b/c they are getting correct odds to draw to them. Even single Aces and Kings are correct to drwa b/c they can count on some implied odds if they hit.

A turn raise would better serve you're purpose of knocking people out. You may be way behind but you have too much hand to fodl in this big pot so raise the turn. If 3 bet call the it and fold on the river unimproved.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:33 AM

I don't think calling the 2 extra bets preflop is that bad. Your implied odds go right through the roof if you hit your set.

On the flop, with the aggressor to your immediate right and a semi-ragged flop, I'd raise. You could possibly be ahead, and raising might clear out some of your "big card callin" opponents. If you get 3-bet, you can fold or call 1 more to see the turn. If you hit your 7 on the turn, get your money in the middle fast, otherwise, fold to a bet.

Joe
Old 08-14-2004, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get 3-bet, you can fold or call 1 more to see the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. You were doing so well up to this point. Folding to a 3-bet would be a huge mistake.