Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: What I thought was an interesting hand

[ QUOTE ]
Someone might need to make the "Weak Tight Police"...

[/ QUOTE ]

i would do it, but i already have too many alter-egos on this board... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Problem was the last couple people who raised hard preflop ended up getting taken down by drunk guy, so people were kind of backing off preflop, not wanting to mess with a guy on such a hot-streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

not you, i hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, as I said in my first post, one of my hopes was that I could get heads up with this guy.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:02 PM

Betting 2400 into a pot with more than 10,000 in it, im sure looks a little weak to everyone at the table. Betting Half the pot or just moving in is what I would have done. Anyway, I call the all in. He's either got AK,KQ or pocket jacks. Can't see pocket Kings cause you would have heard from him preflop. Time to go broke or put yourself in a position to win the tourney.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no straight or flush draw

Board = K J 8

No str8 draws??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an idiot, and have no clue what I was thinking when I posted that observation.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Problem was the last couple people who raised hard preflop ended up getting taken down by drunk guy, so people were kind of backing off preflop, not wanting to mess with a guy on such a hot-streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize that this is nonsense. Also realize that any decent player at the table *knows* this is nonsense and can't *wait* to get his chips in against Drunkee McTilt with top pair. That's why this looks like an isolation play to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're right, it is nonsense. Sorry for speculating. I certainly was trying to get all in with this guy. I'm just trying to remember how aggresive the table was, and at the time I just remember table aggresion had cooled a bit. I was just speculating as to the why. Also memory is a tricky beast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I was clear. If you think that people are getting gun shy because the drunk guy is "on a streak", by all means take advantage; there are certainly players who play that way. All I mean is *you* shouldn't be afraid to get involved with him because he is "hot", since that's meaningless. I mean, he may *be* on a rush (defined as "he got lucky several times in a row"), but that has absolutely no predictive value as to whether he will continue to get lucky or not. Anyway, I think you pretty clearly knew that, just wanted to caution against avoiding weak players because "they are on a rush"...
Old 08-10-2004, 03:51 PM

I would be worried that one of the pre-flop cold callers played his 88 and hit trips on the flop. Drunk guy would not concern me.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be worried that one of the pre-flop cold callers played his 88 and hit trips on the flop. Drunk guy would not concern me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this statement, however, would not be surprised to see QTs, T9s, K8s, or J8s. There are a lot of idiots who will play any two suited cards out there. I think there are WAY too many hands that you are ahead of, and I get my chips in the middle in a hurry.

Rick Diesel
Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM

The only thing that would worry me is a set -- say either the 8's or the Jack's. He may be drunk but he could realize that most players commonly play with K-J you could have the two pair.

But having said that I would find it impossible to walk away from this pot. What did you do and what was the conclusion? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 04:12 PM

My guess is drunk guy is on a straight draw with A 10, feeling that the cards are with him. That or a K 9. I would be scared of the all in. If he cold called preflop, it wouldn't be too surprising that he got his set of 8s.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:54 PM

Ok I'll tell what happened.

First let me just state what I did. I folded.

Here is the process I went through.

I disregarded drunk guy. My weak starting bet was meant as bait for him, and he had taken it. I focused my attention on what the all-in person could have.

I first thought about the possible cards that this person would make this move with.

AA- Maybe, but I didn't think so. With Drunk guy in preflop, why not raise AA preflop? Odds are very good drunk guy would call anyway, and there were lot of people that called the raise, so even if he didn't they were getting good money. I couldn't see someone playing AA like this.

KK- Possible, but same problems with AA. I just didn't see why someone wouldn't raise preflop with KK with so many in the pot and a extremely loose and aggresive big stack in it.

AK- Possible, but I thought AK would have raised preflop too.

KQ- Maybe, but I didn't think KQ would go all in here. Its too vulnerable. I could see a reraise maybe, but immediate all in? This person had a sizable stack and had plenty to play around with and didn't need to push.

Straight cards- Its possible that the person was playing straight cards and was pushing on the draw, but didn't seem right to me. I just didn't see anyone besides drunk guy calling with them, especially if I was correct about my table image.

JJ- Possible but unlikely with two jacks out

88- This is when I started getting worried. To me, all the preflop flat calls of my raise only made sense in one aspect, people with pocket pairs looking to hit their trips. If my read of my table image was correct, they probably put me on a decent hand, AK, AA, QQ, or something. As such, they wouldn't want to raise with their smaller PP and get caught, but everyone loves their PP right? So they pay to see the flop hoping to make trips and catch me and drunk guy. The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself that 88 was what she had. There was no other way I could explain the betting preflop, as most of the hands she would have had to make this play make sense to me probably would have raised preflop, and I just didn't think she would go all in when she had a perfectly good stack on an str8 draw. I thought she was hoping I had a good hand that I couldn't get away from and pay her off, and of course drunk guy calling was a gimmie.

Feeling sick, I mucked, thinking that at least drunk guy would probably call the all in and I could find out if I was right. However drunk guy also dropped his hand, (making me think he had nothing, and was just trying to muscle me, cause I don't think he would have dropped an OE str8 draw). Fortunately I was spared a night of what-ifs, as the all in player immediately flipped over her black 8's and complained about the lack of a call.

Drunk lost his massive stack (125,000 or so I would guess) soon after in a series of 4-5 hands when his luck ditched him and he called too many all in bets.

I managed to keep going and recovered in later hands and went out at 16th in the money after some cracked aces and being forced to pay 3000/6000 blinds twice very quickly due to a table change ended my tournament.

I bought my small group of friends cheering me on coffee and donuts with my winnings.