Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 02:22 PM

Default What I thought was an interesting hand

Hi I've been reading this forum a while, and have picked up a lot of good tips to help improve my tourny game. A couple weeks ago I played at the 150+20 tournament at the TAj in Atlantic City. This was only my second time playing in a live tournament, and never for a buy-in that big, so I was pretty excited. Anyway I thought this particular hand was interesting, and wanted to post it for comment.

It was about mid-tournament, with about half the field gone. Blinds 600/1200 ante 75 I believe I had about a middle strength stack, moving slowly towards being a small stack. I had been playing a while at this table, and the few times I entered the pot (always with a raise) everyone folded to me regardless of position, so I felt I was viewed as tight by the other players. To my left is a big stack who had been drinking a bit, and was getting kind of crazy. He was having one of those insane streaks, calling everyone's all in preflop with anything and flopping full houses, etc. His insane luck I think had everyone a little on edge, but I sensed in him an opportunity to gain some chips since he seemed so eager to play. Plus he seemed like a decent guy, and was fun to talk too.

Anyway, UTG, I get dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I hate KJ, not just cause its a medicore hand, but because its been seriously bad luck for me in the past. Still, I decided to raise, hoping that either I would be heads up with drunk guy, who would probably call with anything, or everyone would fold to me and I would gain the blinds, which has happened to my last couple early position raises. I bet 3600 (3BB) out of my around 25,000 stack, drunk guy immediately called, but I also got two other cold callers callers as well as the big blind. I thought it strange that I got so many callers with no reraise, and didn't like that least one of the other callers had a bigger stack then me. I didn't have much of a read on the other players in with me.

Flop came down:

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checked, I bet out 2400 to test the waters, drunk guy reraised me to 5000, one player folded, and the next one to act immediately went all in. BB folded, and action was to me.

Call or fold? I'll post what I did in a bit, but want to see people's opinions first.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Re: What I thought was an interesting hand

Besides drunk guy, was the table passive? I mean, was there a lot of limping or just calling raises? Any reraising going on?

If it was that passive, anyone could have anything... There is no straight or flush draw. The only hands you would be behind are KK, JJ, 88. KJ will be a push, and you could be up against AK, KQ, QJ, JT, AJ... Since you see two of the Kings and Jacks, it's doubtful that you are up again KK or JJ. That leaves either 88 or a plethora of other hands (quite possibly a slowplayed AA, QQ, or AK). If the table has been aggressive, this is an easy all in call.

I find it very difficult not to call here. Very very few hands are ahead of you here. And those hands are WAY, WAY ahead. Since there are more hands that you are ahead of that might make that play, I'd be forced to call and hope. Even against a set, you still have a backdoor flush, and against the set Js, you still have 2 king outs, and you have 2 king outs and 2 jack outs against a set of 8s.

I'm guessing you were either up against a set of 8s or your two pair were counterfeited by AA with an 8 or runner runner pair.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:36 PM

You played the hand fine assuming you called the all in. I would expect to see something like KQ, maybe even KA from the all in player, and probably either a weak king or QT for an open ender from the drunk. Maybe reversed...if one of them slowplayed KK/JJ, then so be it, but I'm not laying down top two vs. a drunk LAG and a probable LP isolator. No sir-ee-bob.

By the way, if you really had that tight of an image, you should be raising to 2.5x virtually every time they fold to you in MP or later until they catch on.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:39 PM

There is no straight or flush draw

Board = K J 8

No str8 draws??
Old 08-10-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides drunk guy, was the table passive? I mean, was there a lot of limping or just calling raises? Any reraising going on?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I remember, the table was passive but not too passive. If people had decent hands they raised with them. Problem was the last couple people who raised hard preflop ended up getting taken down by drunk guy, so people were kind of backing off preflop, not wanting to mess with a guy on such a hot-streak. Also, the person who went all in had me covered, if that makes a difference.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:45 PM

I call. Unless I *know* the all-in wouldn't do this with less than a set. I put him on KQ or AK isolating the drunk guy.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:47 PM

So with your raise, 2 cold callers, and the BB, there is about 16000 in the pot and 21000 or so in your stack. You are behind to exactly two hands: JJ and 88. I can't see KK flatcalling here. JJ is also unlikely because you have a J, and there is a J on board.

I would just push here. The pot is almost the size of your stack, you would be happy to win just what's in there now. If I lose, that's the lesson I learn for playing a hand other than a big pocket pair or AK from UTG [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Edit: Oh yeah: given you did what you did, I would call the allin.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem was the last couple people who raised hard preflop ended up getting taken down by drunk guy, so people were kind of backing off preflop, not wanting to mess with a guy on such a hot-streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize that this is nonsense. Also realize that any decent player at the table *knows* this is nonsense and can't *wait* to get his chips in against Drunkee McTilt with top pair. That's why this looks like an isolation play to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the person who went all in had me covered, if that makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are quite close to (or in) the money, I don't think so. I have this bad feeling you folded here, and found that you would have won a massive pot, but I guess we shall see. Someone might need to make the "Weak Tight Police"...
Old 08-10-2004, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem was the last couple people who raised hard preflop ended up getting taken down by drunk guy, so people were kind of backing off preflop, not wanting to mess with a guy on such a hot-streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

not you, i hope.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize that this is nonsense. Also realize that any decent player at the table *knows* this is nonsense and can't *wait* to get his chips in against Drunkee McTilt with top pair. That's why this looks like an isolation play to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're right, it is nonsense. Sorry for speculating. I certainly was trying to get all in with this guy. I'm just trying to remember how aggresive the table was, and at the time I just remember table aggresion had cooled a bit. I was just speculating as to the why. Also memory is a tricky beast.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the person who went all in had me covered, if that makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are quite close to (or in) the money, I don't think so. I have this bad feeling you folded here, and found that you would have won a massive pot, but I guess we shall see. Someone might need to make the "Weak Tight Police"...

[/ QUOTE ]