Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Preflop decision: ATo

this whole time I thought Nate had the button.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...and you're on the button with ATo. why would you ever fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I beleive he is 3 off the button. I do agree that folding is the worst of all options.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't read [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your opponents have to actually hit the flop in some way to stay in.

From the description Nate gives I think you may be giving your opponents too much respect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you're right. they're going to call any piece down to the river, and by pumping the pot, you're making it right to do so.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:16 PM

I'd raise for value and keep my bags packed in case I don't like the flop. Raising is only bad if it means you have to bluff the calling stations postflop come Hell or high water.

One point people don't understand is that raises are often more effective at knocking out loose players than tight ones. A 20% VP$IP player may only play 10% of the time after you raise. Congratulations, that's a 10% reduction in his presence. An 80% VP$IP is likely to only coldcall 50% or 60% of the time. Raising helps more in reducing most loose fields than people believe. They don't *always* coldcall.

ATo is a hand that is very vulnerable to being outflopped by any two cards. Even knocking one player out could save the pot.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:17 PM

We are in late mid position; I believe folding is closer than most are making it out to be. I initially thought we were CO-1, but upon rereading it we are CO-2. But my answer does not change as I thought folding was semi-reasonable, although still wrong, upon first reviewing the situation as well.

I have a feeling hot and cold sims will not be good for this spot. On paper there isn't a huge difference between AKo and ATo but on the felt there is.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:53 PM

I'd just call here. It sounds like you'll need hit your hand to win anyways and your opponents will be calling you down regardless of pot size.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:03 PM

So we're limping with ATo in MP after one bad EP limper? This just doesn't sound right either. What if we held A9o? KTo?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:08 PM

Your job here is to raise to limit the field. If they choose to play with bad hands, they are making a bigger mistake than you. I'd never limp here. It's a dirty job, but you got to do it. If they all stay, pray for a flopped straight...lol.

1-Raise.
2-Fold.
3-Limp.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just call here. It sounds like you'll need hit your hand to win anyways and your opponents will be calling you down regardless of pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds like the case for raising. If they truly will call down regardless of pot size, then let's make it a big one because I figure to win more than my fair share of the preflop money.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:16 PM

Just for fun, I looked up what SSHE says, and it says limp

-Ftball