Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Preflop decision: ATo

This hand was from a 20/40 live game that I played in last night at Harrah's in East Chicago.

I am 3 off the Button and have ATo. A bad, loose regular has limped in from EP. He sees lots of flops and does not need much of a hand to do so. Can be aggressive postflop but tends to pick his spots poorly. The next several players have folded.

Two of the three players to my immediate left (those with postflop position on me) are EXTREMELY loose before the flop, but quite passive on all streets unless they have a very good hand. One of them just won a $1400 half-kill pot with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He called 3 bets with that hand preflop, but interestingly enough, did nothing but check and call postflop, even when he turned a flush.

I do not have a good read on the players in the blinds, but it is safe to assume that they are looser than average.

Also of note: when I had the Button three hands ago, I raised several (five?) limpers with A9s. I missed the flop save for one card of my suit, took the free card, and folded when there was a bet on the turn. The next hand, I was in the CO, and raised two limpers with KQo. Again I missed the flop, there was a bet and a raise before it got to me, and I folded.

Should I call, fold, or raise?
Old 08-06-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Preflop decision: ATo

[ QUOTE ]
This hand was from a 20/40 live game that I played in last night at Harrah's in East Chicago.

I am 3 off the Button and have ATo. A bad, loose regular has limped in from EP. He sees lots of flops and does not need much of a hand to do so. Can be aggressive postflop but tends to pick his spots poorly. The next several players have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't this be in the mid-high stakes forum?

You raise A10o because it's likely better than any of the 3 hands after you, and you really want that button. If somehow by miracle you can isolate UTG+1 all the better. If they choose to cold call with worse hands, it's their money.

Garland
Old 08-06-2004, 05:45 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'm confused as to how many people limped to you. 3?
Old 08-06-2004, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, one limper to me, but there are two VERY loose players left to act behind me.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't this be in the mid-high stakes forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've posted it here because the loose passive game texture resembled what you'd typically see in a 2/4 or so.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:52 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, one limper to me, but there are two VERY loose players left to act behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhh

this seems like a really easy raise. it's better that there are loose players on your left. you won't isolate the weak player, but you'll get in against 3 random hands and 3 players who play poorly postflop. I say push your edge while you have one.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:52 PM

I raise because ATo is likely a monster compared to what they're going to come in with. Your preflop equity is too great to pass up raising here. It also makes the hand easier to play. Am i on the right track here?
Old 08-06-2004, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise because ATo is likely a monster compared to what they're going to come in with. Your preflop equity is too great to pass up raising here. It also makes the hand easier to play. Am i on the right track here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should clarify: this is *not* one of those "let me educate the Small Stakes" posts. I don't know what the right answer is. But I think there are good arguments for all three options, and this might get a good discussion going.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:00 PM

I should clarify: this is *not* one of those "let me educate the Small Stakes" posts. I don't know what the right answer is. But I think there are good arguments for all three options, and this might get a good discussion going.

Well then, let me ask you: what do you think of that argument?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:09 PM

I fold. Raising is not going to accomplish anything. The loose players behind you will coldcall and you'll end up with mediocre position in a big multi-way pot with a hand that doesn't play well multiway.

For those who are saying "raise", what would you do if you had ATo on the button after 4 limpers and loose blinds on the left of you? I think this is a pretty similar situation - actually a bit worse because of your position.