Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Reraise 5th with Kings-up?

$3/$6, $0.50 ante, $1 bring-in, 6 handed.

I am dealt (6s Kc) Ks.
The bring-in is on my left with the 2s. Js folds, Qh folds, Qc folds, Td folds, I raise the bring-in. He calls.

4th
(6s Kc) Ks 6c BET
XX 2s 5c CALL

5th
(6s Kc) Ks 6c 9h BET
XX 2s 5c 7d RAISE

Call or reraise. I thought he might have only 7's up or 5's up to raise here, because I looked like a steal on 3rd. Also at this point I had a loose and very aggressive image because of how some hands have played. I reraised. Comments?

He caught a ten on sixth, I caught a 2. Making his hand slightly more dead. I bet and he called. On the river I caught an Ace so I still have kings up. I bet and he raised... Call or Fold? Is this a laydown I can make? I doubt he's bluffing.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Reraise 5th with Kings-up?

I re-raise fifth street against most opponents. Some are so timid that they just have to have a set to raise you, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Keep firing, and unless you know your opponent very well, you can't lay down Kings-up for one more bet on the river in a pot this size.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:54 PM

You cannot lay it down for one bet against one opponent. Period.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:11 PM

It's hard to know what to make of his 5th street raise.
Don't think a decent player would be raising here with 2 small pair - against an unknown player I'd just call. However, if I've seen this guy making these sort of loose raises, why not pop him. If he caps, then I'd have to think I was beat and go into check-call mode.

I'd check-call on 7th.
But, once you've bet I think the pot is too big to let go. You must call.

Just my opinion - I'm still new to the game too..
Would be interesting to hear how some of the experts would play this one.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:41 PM

I'm no expert, but seventh street is a clear value bet. A worse two pair will call you here every time. Failure to bet in spots like these costs typical stud players a lot of money.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:04 PM

I'm with you, but what if your opponent knows that you won't lay down and raises anyway? He can't be bluffing, so you must be beaten. You can't make too many lay-downs like this, though, because you're just asking to get run over. I'd have to be very sure of my customer to lay it down, and you probably can't be sure enough against most $3/6 on-line players.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you, but what if your opponent knows that you won't lay down and raises anyway? He can't be bluffing, so you must be beaten. You can't make too many lay-downs like this, though, because you're just asking to get run over. I'd have to be very sure of my customer to lay it down, and you probably can't be sure enough against most $3/6 on-line players.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about showing the rest of the table that you cannot be run over? Surely, not everyone can Know your play at the table. This idea is an application of something Caro wrote about 7stud.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:12 PM

When I do play stud, it is often against very, very familiar opponents. Some of them are actually thinking players. My default play is to call this river raise, but there are times, rare times mind you, that I am a lot more than 95% sure I am beaten.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:33 PM

i would call here. your opponent most likely has two pair and you have odds to call. but i think you give your opponent too much credit on his thoughts, most likely he doesnt have any.

Pat