Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Does SSH Obselete Real Poker 2 and MLH

Lots of people think that just because something appears in some dictionary somewhere, it's a word of accepted usage.
But there are ebonics dictionaries, too.

People who actually teach grammar and language aren't as sloppy with their standards.

In fact, often every definition past the first or second is unacceptable English, and some dictionaries make a point of including as much slang as possible and putting it on the same footing as regular English. A place in a dictionary doesn't mean much without further context.

There are those, though, who insist that "nuk-u-lar" is an acceptable pronunciation, that you can "axe" someone a question, and that more or less popular terms from the latest fields of study to influence pop culture and become all the rage should immediately be taken at the same level as all other English. People who insist on the latter might be better served by "interfacing" with others without using jargon, though.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people think that just because something appears in some dictionary somewhere, it's a word of accepted usage.

People who actually teach grammar and language aren't as sloppy with their standards.

In fact, often every definition past the first or second is unacceptable English, and some dictionaries make a point of including as much slang as possible and putting it on the same footing as regular English. A place in a dictionary doesn't mean much without further context.

There are those, though, who insist that "nuk-u-lar" is an acceptable pronunciation, that you can "axe" someone a question, and that more or less popular terms from the latest fields of study to influence pop culture and become all the rage should immediately be taken at the same level as all other English. People who insist on the latter might be better served by "interfacing" with others without using jargon, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

TX, now STFU.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you care? Get a life.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:06 AM

In a nutshell....

RP2 - Teaches you what to consider before making a decision, reading hands, manipulating opponents, etc. One of my favorite books and I need to reread it again.

SSH - Has cleaned up my technique quite a bit (I'm still working through this book) and also improved the way I look at drawing hands, outs, etc. This book has pushed my aggression up a couple notches.

MLH - It's apparently cool to say that Ciaffone is weak/tight, but I think people are missing the real strength of the book, namely the 18 billion example hands. If you don't agree with his play, fine....what would you do in your typical game and why??? If a book gets you to think about your game it's worth the price.

So, (in case it's not obvious) I think they all focus on different aspects of your game and they are all worth getting.

J
Old 07-30-2004, 04:34 AM

Brilliant.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:42 AM

Bugger off, loser.

I wasn't the one bringing up the subject in the first place, but once it was out there and being commented on, who the heck are you that anyone needs your permission to participate? Talk about getting a life...

Two things remain true, though: a word being in a dictionary doesn't necessarily mean much at all, all by itself, and using jargon is almost never good writing.

So long, sucker.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a nutshell....

RP2 - Teaches you what to consider before making a decision, reading hands, manipulating opponents, etc. One of my favorite books and I need to reread it again.

SSH - Has cleaned up my technique quite a bit (I'm still working through this book) and also improved the way I look at drawing hands, outs, etc. This book has pushed my aggression up a couple notches.

MLH - It's apparently cool to say that Ciaffone is weak/tight, but I think people are missing the real strength of the book, namely the 18 billion example hands. If you don't agree with his play, fine....what would you do in your typical game and why??? If a book gets you to think about your game it's worth the price.

So, (in case it's not obvious) I think they all focus on different aspects of your game and they are all worth getting.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

quality advice from jason.

I have middle limit holdem, but had only read about 20 pages of it. Then ssh came out and i grabbed it and read it like it was going out of style. and i definitely liked the new level of aggression i came out of it with. So from all the comments about MLHE being weak tight, and the changes in my game i could already feel from ssh, i was kinda hesitant to read MLH after SSH. but knowing its a bunch of hand reviews I was thinking of going ahead and reading it and making notes specifically of where i thought it is weak/tight and making a post here discussing those hands specifically. Then just to make sure no weakness sunk in, read ssh again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] lol
I think you can learn from any book, even a "bad" book as long as you are able to think for yourself. The thing i like so much about ssh is its a a book to teach you how to think more effectively in a loose game.

i haven't read real poker II but i almost picked it up at gamblers book shop the same day i picked up SSH but decided SSH would have me consumed for a while, but it is my next purchase.

[ QUOTE ]
It's apparently cool to say that Ciaffone is weak/tight

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] LOL

regards
bonanz
Old 07-30-2004, 12:27 PM

Fair enough. I don't mind reading another opinion. I would like MLH even if it only contained the hands with no commentary.