Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Does SSH Obselete Real Poker 2 and MLH

This post is obviously intended for those that have read Small Stakes Hold Em, Middle Limit Poker and Real Poker II: The Play of Hands.

Believe it or not, I have not purchases SSH yet. However, I am going to and I was mulling over adding to my library. The books I am contemplating in addition to SSH are Middle Limit Hold Em, Real Poker II: The Play of Hands and Improve Your Poker. I have pretty well gathered that Improve Your Poker would be beneficial to my NL game. However, I am wondering if SSH makes the information to be gained from Middle Limit Hold Em and Real Poker II: The Play of Hands obsolete. Is it worth getting these books and reading them after SSH? Or, is there anything else you'd recommend?

Here's my library:

Winning Low Limit Hold Em
Internet Texas Hold Em (Hilger)
Theory of Poker
Hold Em Poker
HPFAP
TPFAP
New Player Series No Limit Hold Em
Championship Satellite Strategy
Super System
Cloutier's Championship No Limit Book
No-Limit/Pot Limit Poker by Ciaffone/Reuben
More Hold Em Excellent
The complete Book of Hold Em (Carson)
Inside the Poker Mind
Poker Essays Vol I,II and III
Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Does SSH Obselete Real Poker 2 and MLH

"Middle Limit Hold'em"

If this is Brier's book your referring to - I would not recommend it. It needs a serious update to take into account the present texture of middle limit games. The advice is too weak-tight for today's games. If you do get it and just remeber to be careful how much of it you bring to your game. If you overaggressive now it may do you some good.

Real Poker II: The Play of Hands - Excellent book. Highly recommended.

SSH - I am waiting for my copy...

I would go for Real Poker and SSH. I read the Brier book once and shelved it until the games get tougher/tighter again.

Orange
Old 07-29-2004, 01:18 PM

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, obsolete is not a verb
Old 07-29-2004, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, obsolete is not a verb

[/ QUOTE ]

From The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, online at Bartleby:

obsolete

ADJECTIVE: 1. No longer in use: an obsolete word. 2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive. 3. Biology Vestigial or imperfectly developed, especially in comparison with other individuals or related species; not clearly marked or seen; indistinct. Used of an organ or other part of an animal or plant.
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: ob·so·let·ed, ob·so·let·ing, ob·so·letes
To cause to become obsolete.

ETYMOLOGY: Latin obsoltus, past participle of obsolscere, to fall into disuse. See obsolescent.
OTHER FORMS: obso·letely —ADVERB
obso·leteness —NOUN
obso·letism —NOUN
Old 07-29-2004, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

touche! at least i spelled it right though... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2004, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

touche! at least i spelled it right though... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well gee guys, thanks for hijacking my thread into a grammar/spelling lesson.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 PM

Lots of people think that just because something appears in some dictionary somewhere, it's a word of accepted usage.
But there are ebonics dictionaries, too.

People who actually teach grammar and language aren't as sloppy with their standards.

In fact, often every definition past the first or second is unacceptable English, and some dictionaries make a point of including as much slang as possible and putting it on the same footing as regular English. A place in a dictionary doesn't mean much without further context.

There are those, though, who insist that "nuk-u-lar" is an acceptable pronunciation, that you can "axe" someone a question, and that more or less popular terms from the latest fields of study to influence pop culture and become all the rage should immediately be taken at the same level as all other English. People who insist on the latter might be better served by "interfacing" with others without using jargon, though.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:45 PM

Middle Limit Hold'em gets a lot of flack around these parts. However, even if you disagree with the solutions it gives to the hands, it still makes you think. If you read all the answers and disagree with many of them you have to rationalize why (not to Jim Brier but to yourself).

I love reading hand questions. When I got SSH I turned straight to the hand quizes section. I disagreed with a couple of them but at least I got to see another opinion.

Reading MLH doesn't make you play weak tight. You blindly following the advise it gives makes you weak tight. I would gladly buy MLH2 if it ever came out.

To me Real Poker II is the best poker book I have read in awhile. You can just ignore the cards and focus on the thought process Cooke goes through. RPII doesn't give you strategy advice like SSH. They are two different types of poker books. I would rather have the thought process from RPII than the knowledge of when to raise AJs preflop from SSH.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the knowledge of when to raise AJs preflop from SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever made you think this was the thrust behind SSHE is beyond me.
preflop play covers part of the book because you do need to play decent starting hands. but the primary drive of SSHE is post-flop play.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:02 PM

I haven't actually finished it yet. I was only pointing out that /so far/ it is more stategy oriented than RPII. I like SSH but don't think it makes RPII obsolete.