Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Marginal Situation

I can't imagine him not 5 betting the flop with an overpair or atleast popping you again on the turn with the draw heavy board. I think if he had A10 he would raise again also since he perceives you as tight so he can probably rule out 10x7x or 7x5x. He has to be worried about 77 or maybe 1010 but a bigger pair would reraise preflop. When he just calls the 4th bet and then calls you down I say he's worried about Ax10x and you guys split the pot, or you beat his Q10s. Would J10s be within his range of raising hands preflop?

j.k.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you decided to play the hand, I think you played it fine. However, this one is close preflop; I'd rather have a hand like 79o here, but since you are getting 7:1, a call is fine. If I were playing well, then I'd play it, but if I wasn't at my best, then I'd probably muck it. The real issue is are you ready to go into chicken-mode if a K flops and it's headsup with the LP raiser? If so, then fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would really rather have 79o? This seems a little extreme to me. I'm not a big fan of KTo, but I'd still rather have it over 79o by a pretty big margin.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LP folds, Floater coldcalls in the CO, button folds, fishy loose spazzy SB calls, I call in the BB with KsTh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

-Diplomat
Old 07-23-2004, 01:04 PM

The only marginal thing I see is the pre-flop raise, which, for the reasons you cite, plus metagame considerations, seems fine.

Since PFR didn't cap the flop nor raise the turn, I'd also have bet the river for value. The draw-rich flop means that he would call you with a number of hands you beat. While your flop 4-bet might possibly have slowed down a better hand, that theory is counteracted by the fact that he'd want to protect that better hand on the hand and he didn't.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LP folds, Floater coldcalls in the CO, button folds, fishy loose spazzy SB calls, I call in the BB with KsTh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I like to give everyone the sweet visual. Besides, typing "hot redhead asian gal who plays the 80 all the time, coldcalls a lot and steals lots of pots without a showdown" is pretty exhausting.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:13 PM

In this situation, probably. Suited, for sure.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:38 PM

I'm trying to figure out why you posted this hand.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure out why you posted this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons. One, this is a preflop call I usually don't make. Two, I wasn't particularly thrilled when I got called on the river.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:58 PM

So did you feeling of not being thrilled he called down turn out to be correct? Results?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two reasons. One, this is a preflop call I usually don't make. Two, I wasn't particularly thrilled when I got called on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you bet the river if you were not thrilled you got called? Did you really expect a better hand to fold on the river?