Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Folding KK preflop.

[ QUOTE ]

Blinds are 1000/2000, I have about 105k.
UTG raises to 8000.
I'm UTG+1 with KK. I reraise to 28000.
Folded to UTG, who thinks for a couple seconds and then pushes in.
How strong is the stench of AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are other active threads where people are talking about raising/pushing with QQ. Earlier, people were talking about doing this with AK. (QQ vs. AK all-in preflop is common, for some reason.) Of course, others may do this with much weaker hands. Fossilman raised/pushed with T8, though I don't know from which position. If you fold KK here, I think you are making a big mistake on average.

If you are shown AA, move on to plan B: Suck out. This is worth a lot. On average, you retain 36% of your stack, not 0%, and the difference is huge. You have already put a quarter of your stack in, so folding would leave you with 77k while calling against AA would give you 38.5k on average.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:55 AM

I've layed down Kings preflop ONCE in my entire poker career, and it was correct. But that was live, and not online, let alone a freeroll. The thing is, even if you do run into AA, you're 1 in 5 to win the pot. So, unless you're more than 80% sure that he has AA (more like 90% here, since there's already money in the pot), don't let it go.

In other words, you had better be DAMN sure of what you're doing before you let those cowboys go: if you make a bad fold here it is just as big a mistake as calling and running into AA. I couldn't live with myself if I incorrectly folded KK, but I could deal with occassionally clashing with AA.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 AM

86 players left and to go well over T200K.

PUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 12:51 PM

IMO, no one could've layed that down in a freeroll. I would even say that you are making a mistake to lay it down in a live game where you could feel that the other person had AA. Intuition should be relied on only so much in this situation since odds dictate that you will win out over the long run with a call in this situation and I think everyone knows that and thus is why we all would push in that situation (especially the freeroll!!!) You will never be able to control the flop,turn or river so you must force your opponent to make a mistake based on the current information and implied odds.
(Also if the poker gods are twisted enough to deal out KK and AA in the same hand, then they are probably sick enough to make a K come out on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
Old 06-09-2004, 06:07 PM

folding KK is tough to do here and most of the posters have advised that you shouldnt. but contrast your situation with ones where there are multiple players to contend with. In one tournament once i folded KK preflop twice. Both situations were where i was in EP gotraised and reraised all in before it got back to me. Both times the reraiser showed AA. That doesnt mean you should always fold in this situation but just be aware that when there are multiple players concerned you have a different situation.

Pat