Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: What if he had A6 instead?

[ QUOTE ]
These are decent hands but the point is you make your money off of them the 1 in 10 times or so you catch something nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks chief,

So, if you had, say 7 or 8 limpers instead, would you consider a raise? You still aren't getting your 10:1, but close enough that implied odds cover the gap, no?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:38 PM

LeftBack,

I think you are putting too much focus on hand rankings. You need to understand that many hands ranked in the same group should be played differently. Hands like K9s and A7s like multiway pots and cheap flops. Just because they are not worth a raise does not mean that they aren't a good hand. I also think that you are not putting nearly enough consideration into position. Position is more important for drawing hands such as K9s and A7s than it is for small or medium pocket pairs. Hand rankings are very general guidlines.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:45 PM

If K9s is better than A7s?!

Im not a expert. But with a hand like K9s you have the posibility to get the stright too. Your 9 has also biger chans to be the top pair, and if you get the king there is a posibility that someone also have paired the king with a lower kicker and you win becaus of that.
A7 have also the problem that many persons play A with anything, that mens that if you get the A there is a big chans that someone else has an A like you with a bigger kicker or get two pair laiter . But if someone get a K with a low kicker many fold preflop and canīt get two pair becaus of that.

If im wrong pleas tell me!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, if you had, say 7 or 8 limpers instead, would you consider a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be ecstatic if 8 people limped when I held one of these hands. But I would still not raise from the SB.

[ QUOTE ]
You still aren't getting your 10:1, but close enough that implied odds cover the gap, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not good logic. It is either a good value bet or not. Raising pf reduces implied odds. If it is still a +EV hand if raised does not make the raise correct. Your overall expected value is greater if you limp, although with enough limpers Axs should probably be a +EV hand regardless even from the SB for better players.

The 10:1 is a complete guess on my part. I don't know what it is exactly for catching two pair or better. But with 8 limpers it is far less likely that something like two pair would even hold up. Just take the cheap flop with hands like these from the SB and get the money in when you do catch something you like.