Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Help with my game?

You're playing pretty tight, this may not be a bad thing, but your W$SD is excellent you can afford to trade some of it for a few more flops seen.

Since you are a PT user I'm assuming that you are using the auto notes. Start working on the tight blinds in steal position, this should also bring your PFR up(shoot for 8%, but after awhile in the ring games this should approach 10%).

Don't just put your name on all the high pot average games. Get down there and look at the games. Find the loose callers(or get two together) and sit right behind them. Find another game when the loosies get up OR every other seat is filled with tight ag winners.

With a little tweaking your stats aren't bad you might be missing the easier games, either the wrong sites or not enough working on game selection.

MS Sunshine
Old 05-12-2004, 09:26 PM

You're too tight, folding far too often in both blinds. You need to get your VP$IP number up a few %. You also need to be raising more often, at least around 8%.

You should be raising hands like AQ, AK, JJ-AA regularly, no matter what the circumstances, and also pocket pairs, AT, KJs, etc. with position.

The hands you probably need to be adding or small pocket pairs UTG because of how passive the 2/4 game plays.

And your blind defense needs to be more aggressive. Anyone watching you play would start raising your blind with any 2. You need to 3 bet with small pairs or avg. aces occassionally so you don't get run over.

Overall, at least you're erring on the side of being a bit too cautious instead of being too loose and spewing chips on every street.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 PM

Your reputation is the best on here from what I understand Sunshine... I think that what you are saying is I should allow my St.Dev. to increase in order to increase my profitability?

Auto notes? I don't really bother with game selection at the Party low limits because I expect that there will be bad players at every table, and if I really kept track of the bad ones, they would constitute 75% of the whole. As I get higher in the limits, I will start making detailed notes and selecting sites more carefully.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:50 PM

Listen to Senior Choppy-he rules-concise accurate simple to understand advice!!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:08 AM

My first impression was maybe your game selection was out on the sessions tab what is the average pot and asf, mine is around 40% in other words the average players seeing the flop is 4.

My stats are not that far out from yours and my bb/100 is around 3, my blind defence is pretty poor too but as I try to find loose/passive tables it actually isnt that big of a figure in hands terms, my last months figures 3,000 hands BB defence heads up was only 8 hands so 80% of that isnt a big deal.

I found this becomes more of an issue at 3/6 there are still pleanty of loose tables at 2/4.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:12 AM

Oh and just cos people are saying you are playing tight dont just start playing more hands for the hell of it, do some searching to understand the hands you can play in multiway flops or from late position.

Look to play looser but understand why and when you should be doing it.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:24 AM

From one UMasser to another...

-Ben
Old 05-13-2004, 09:09 AM

hmmmm...thats strange, i was going to post the link to another 'oldie but goodie' post by ms-sunshine on evaluating his opponents. i even had it saved in my favorites but it has somehow vanished and i cant bring it up. maybe it's archived or something.

anyway, i still have the text saved so here is the copy...hope this is somewhat helpful....i think it's pretty good stuff.

drudman - 'evaluating my own plays' on 1/3/04

---------------
There is so much use you can get out of www.PokerTracker.com that you shouldn't just "toss" the hands in. I can tell you are trying to get the most out of it by looking for problems in your game first. Trust me they are there. For all of us. I use PokerTracker primary for the notes on players. After about 5 weeks I have about a 1000 cash game players, at least 50 hands, with really good notes. There are about 1700 other players with less than 50 hands. About 500 hand manual notes. The tournament players, 1100, are judged on whatever hands are available. These leaves me with about 2700 notes in PokerTracker, but I have about 2000 more on players not seen in the last five weeks which are unlikely to be active anymore. Below is an old post.

As to what notes I want to see when scouting a table:

Preflop starting hand range and their playing style.

For ring games:

very tight(under 15%sf)
tight(16-21%sf)
med tight(22-26%)
med loose(27-33%)
loose(34-50%)
very loose(over 50%)
nutball(with the exact% in note)

very passive(never raises preflop)
passive(<3%pfr)
med ag(3-6%)
ag(7-10%)
very ag(11-15%)
above 15% I write very ag with %

Blind steal and Defense:

No steal(0% from CO and button)
low steal(under 20%)
avg steal(which I consider to be around 30% not taking blinds tightness into account is 20-35%)
High steal(40-55%)
Always steals(you get the idea)

I consider average BB defense to be a little over 50% in $15-30 to a steal raise.

No defend(well almost none)
weak defend
some defend
low defend
avg defend(50%)
high defend
always defends

The Party bubble hint feature will show about 20 characters when you pass the cursor over the yellow box. The above is what is most important to me anything else, which also is important, like stunts they like to play too much and their general attitude post-flop gets added below the above.

There are many interesting numbers to look at in your past hands, but 5000 hands is still too few IMO. On the General info tab:

Vol put $ in pot

For a ring game this should be in the 16-20% range. Mine is 18%

PFR %(preflop raise)

Preflop raise and blind defense and attack numbers are sensitive to YOUR game selection criteria. I'm always looking for action games trying to be seated directly behind the big LAG and in front of tight players if possible. The range for a winning player is 6-10%, ring game, with mine at 10%.

Attempt to steal blinds

25-40% range for winning players with mine at 33%. This number is the combined steal % for Button and CO.

Folded BB to steal

I use this with Folded SB to steal to judge how well blind defense is, very important in the upper limits. I defend BB 63% in 15-30 and 50% in $10-20.

Went to SD

Mines is about 30%, but the only use I get out of this is LAG's that have a number here below 20%. Loose for pre and flop bets then tight for turn and river bets. YUM.

On the position stats tab there is your Vol put $ in pot for each position. Mine run 9% for UTG to 20% for button. When you click on a position line it will bring up hands that are played from that postion and you can double click to bring HH up which has a playback feature at the top. I look for weakness in the up front plays.

The last stat, when out of wack, I look at is the cold call % for mid-table play.

If you continue to win over 2BB/100 hands than you should consider moving up in limits, with the proper BR of about 300BB.

Hope this helps.

MS Sunshine

p.s. Any upper limit winning player is welcome to point out any errors that they might see.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:26 AM

Thanks for posting this. Is there/ do you have a similar archived post for NL?. I believe ms-sunshine plays mainly NL these days. Finally I have some real good use for Poker-Tracker!.