Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 06:58 PM

Default user input

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

We use a thermal entropy chip designed specifically by Intel for generating truly random (as opposed to "crackable" pseudorandom) numbers. It is based on movement of atomic particles in constant motion (defined in physics as heat!) and is theoretically impossible to predict. Sorry no pattern maps for you guys I'm afraid.

As if this wasn't random enough, we have added all of our users input into the equation. So when you move your mouse, you are providing truly random input to the random number generator used to shuffle the deck prior to each game.

Full details are here

We don't "burn" cards and conversations with players that think we should are "interesting"!

Ellis

[/ QUOTE ]

From the PokerStars site: "Furthermore, we apply conservative rules to enforce the required degree of randomness; for instance, if user input does not generate required amount of entropy, we do not start the next hand until we obtain the required amount of entropy from Intel RNG."

So sometimes, the software is wating untill the players move their mice a little more before shuffling!

I don't say that to mock, I think conservative rules for the randomization are important.

Of the parts I understand, I like this bit the most: "first we draw a random card from the original deck (1 of 52) and place it in a new deck - now original deck contains 51 cards and the new deck contains 1 card
then we draw another random card from the original deck (1 of 51) and place it on top of the new deck - now original deck contains 50 cards and the new deck contains 2 cards
we repeat the process until all cards have moved from the original deck to the new deck"

This has to be better by far than a series of manual riffle shuffles on a physical deck. If you only riffle shuffle, you scramble the order, but you don't have any chance of some possible decks. Cards near the top tend to stay near the top; same for the bottom. (Washing and cutting of course improve that somewhat.)

Old 05-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: How Does a Randomizer Work?

[ QUOTE ]

Nowhere in your link does it make such a statement. You are making an assumption with which I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my view, the page on the PStars website describing the shuffle makes it clear that PStars does not use continuous shuffling. In particular, the web page describes the algorithm as moving cards from an original deck of 52 cards to a new deck.

In any event, if you find that web page ambiguous, then this post by Lee Jones should settle the matter.