Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Re: How to react in this situation?

I think there is little doubt that the tourney director dropped the ball on this one. Most of the home tournies that I have played in have been run great. The director usually takes 5 min to outline any special tourney/house rules. This is helpful since it puts everyone on the same page. We also have a rulebook in the room if there are any disputes. If everyone knows that the rules will be strictly enforced then there is usually less hard feelings if an unfavorable ruling comes down. When you start allowing informal procedures to enter the mix, then you open up a can of worms, because each player has a different view of what is acceptable and what is not. Arguments when money is involved is rarely a good thing.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:17 PM

yep and what is important is to underline that this is not an official cardroom (they are not allowed in norway) its a tourney that is arranged by private persons at a restaurant. To clear things out for the posters that stated that i was way over the line in "whining" I have to say that the tourney director this day was a friend of mine so i wasn't whining. What I wanted was to follow the rules and that the rules should be equal for all players, and with that in mind I think it was completely wrong to let it pass at my table and 15 min later rule the hand dead at the neihbour table. Also it might be possible that we have different views on drunks and their behaviour in Norway than you have in USA. Anyways since the tourney directors have admitted their mistake the case is over but I still wanted to hear what u guys meant about this case. I think it helped me in my play for the rest of the tourney.. Thanks for the replys.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:27 PM

why did you solicit opinions? You posted on a psychology forum, not a rules forum. I told you what I thought of your attitude and you want to get in a rules debate. OK, the rule was broken. Now what? I addressed how you handled it. You disagree. But why are you arguing with me? Perhaps I was wrong in saying you "whined." But from your post, bith the content and the tone, my supposition is that this really bothered you and you overreacted. If you get this upset about a minor rules transgression, I think it will hurt your game. And you called busting the drunk "justice." This says something about your attitude toward the game.

I am not meaning to insult you. I just wouldn't find poker very fun if I got this worked up over a minor rules situation.