Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 09:17 PM

Default It\'s not that simple.

The more shorthanded the game, the more luck involved. There is nothing keeping a big stack from getting AA or KK(obligated to go all-in), getting called by another big stack, somehow losing, and then getting 5th place instead of 1st or 2nd. No one wants to risk 30-40k over that. I know I wouldn't.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: It\'s not that simple.

JohnSears it was a terrible deal for the big stacks. You shouldnt play a $500 buyin event if you are going to just give away thousands of dollars of equity at the end. Whats funny is that not just one chip leader decided to give away lots of money, but all three of them!
I find it interesting, because I think that even if they waited a few hands....just to see if exclusive would bust, and lets assume he doesnt bust and doubles up or steals some blinds, they could almost surely get a very very similar deal after this!
One last thing, I posted this on the internet board but Im curious what you think over here....

With 2 tables left, Exclusive raises like 35% of his stack, the BB goes allin, and now its back to Exclusive and he thinks for like 30 seconds, calls TIME and everything...and then finally calls with AA. [censored] thing to do or not?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Worst deal of the year (PStars $500+30, April 25)

I was watching the final table thinking "Why does Exclusive want a deal? He will never have a chance to play against people that dumb for that much money ever again.".

He then proposed the deal. I laughed. They accepted the deal. I cried.

He truly outplayed them all.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:05 PM

The only excuse I can come up with for what you describe on Exclusive's AA play (I wasn't watching at the time) would be if he were seriously considering not playing at all. Now I can't offhand think of any situation with 15 left in this tournamentwhere it would be correct to fold Aces pre-flop; maybe Exclusive thought he knew something.

I agree however, that if he was just screwing with the BB it was a censored thing to do, not to mention a silly waste of his time clock.

Doug
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM

I find it hard to believe someone like EARLBRY, who seemingly plays every tourney and is currently 10th on the TLB list, would be scared of Exclusive. Not with a mere 3 rounds worth of blinds Exclusive had at the time, c'mon. I was more shocked he accepted those terms than any of the others because he should know better. I would never had acceptted those terms. OTOH, EARLBRY was also right in the middle of bubble time in the $650 super to WSOP so he may have wanted to concentrate on that, but still.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 PM

Well they were running out of time to make a deal(the manager said 3 minutes more and all deals were off).

As for the AA, was there anyone left in the pot to call?
Exclusive can be pretty rude sometimes though, so who knows. Honestly, though, pissing people off bad can be pretty useful on final tables.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:56 AM

"that not just one chip leader decided to give away lots of money, but all three of them!"

Didn't the third place stack gain $10K?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:29 PM

"Didn't the third place stack gain $10K? "

Fuzzy thinking. This player lost more than 3K of expectation.

Craig
Old 04-27-2004, 01:41 PM

Well, he should be able to figure out the EV he gave up is much more than his reduced chance at the WS seat.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:23 PM

I didnt know if I wanted to laugh or scream watching that deal take place. Man did Exclusive whine and badger his way into a good deal. I think Lee would have bitch slapped him if he had the chance.