Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Re: 20-40 live game K-Q bet or check this flop?

Getting called by ace-high is fine because they have to make it to a showdown to beat me. If I get two callers I'll usually bet again on the turn. I play in a lot of mid-limit games where people will peel one off on the flop with overcards or with an ace in this situation and then will fold on the turn (or call again with an ace on the turn and will fold on the river when they miss). If I get 3 flop callers I will often check behind on the turn.

I'd rarely call a bet with king high on the river, even when the turn is checked through although it would be player-dependent. That's another reason to bet the turn -- it makes your river decision easier.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

online people will call the turn with an ace very often, which makes the river bet imperative as well
Old 04-05-2004, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
online people will call the turn with an ace very often, which makes the river bet imperative as well

[/ QUOTE ]

They also call the river very often with an ace, so be prepared to see the chips go sliding their way.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:07 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

kickerless ace calls are still rare. they'll chase somebody while there is still a chase to be had, knowing they're beaten and drawing thin, but it doesn't mean that they'll call here w/A9o. i have a lot of hands to illustrate this one.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:00 PM

Fold this hand preflop? Anyone else fold here? I raise 60% or call 40% against looser players. I like calling here sometimes against loose players, then getting away from the hand cheap when I miss. A call before the flop might have been better in this game.
I like raising with it, I can steal the pot often when an ace comes againt few and tight players. How would you play it preflop?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:17 PM

A preflop fold is clearly incorrect given no other information on the EP limper. elysium must've either misread your post or he's been drinking too much Aqua Velva. I'll limp sometimes here and raise sometimes here, depends on game texture and who the limper is.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:18 PM

In this case, you've only got one limper. If there's a reasonable chance of folding out everyone behind you, then it's worth raising. You'll have positional advantage to play out the hand. In a very loose game, it's probably best just to call.