Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Dumbest rule in sports

[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of rule #2 (played soccer all my life).

[/ QUOTE ]

me too
Old 03-14-2004, 04:35 PM

The Instigator Rule in Hockey
Old 03-14-2004, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think the college football overtime, which completely changes not the rules, but the way the game is played, is the worst rule in sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it changes the game but I like it as an alternative to the OT rules in the NFL. The NFL overtime is the worst overtime rule in all of sports. In the last two years, something like 71% of all NFL games that went to overtime ended after the first possesion. Essentially who ever won the coin toss, won the game.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:36 PM

You are misinformed about not being able to call "got it" in soccer, at least by FIFA rules.

What are FIFA rules worth? That they have done jack $hit to stamp out this play acting rubbish is making the game a farce. Players pretending to be hurt to get their opponents in trouble, then getting up moments later and sprinting around.

Us English have always prided ourselves on getting straight up after a bad tackle, even if your leg happens to be hanging off. What mugs we are.

Simon
Old 03-14-2004, 11:40 PM

One more for the Brits: Professional darts. Before SPONSORS banned the practice, the players used to be able to smoke and drink (which was pretty much required) during the match. Television sponsors, however, required that this be banned. Now the darts-men (and women) have to go BEHIND a screen, backstage to partake in these libations.

Essentially, sponsors have adopted policies which have changed the flavor of the game.

This is exactly the same in professional snooker. Whether or not it is a bad thing is open to debate - I personally think it gives the darts and snooker a better image.

They are still games for drunkards in smokey bars of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Simon
Old 03-15-2004, 04:09 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

You all are wrong, you have missed the worst rule of all. Even though it's gone now from CFB, can you say "Halo"?

That rule was so bad nothing can top it.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:43 AM

The latest version of Law 12 from the official rules says "Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour". Hence any feigning of injury, faking of a foul to gain a free kick or penalty, etc. is punishable by a caution (yellow card) and eventualyl dismissal.

There is no specific rule about shouting "Mine" or "My ball" or "Leave it" but if, say, an attacker shouted such a thing in order to trick the defender into leaving the ball the attacker would be guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct and could be cautioned.

Personally I would introduce a rule that classified preposterous hair as unsportmanlike conduct. This would prevent Italy from winning anything ever again.

However, dumbest rule in any sport is the rule in Cricket where by the batsmen cannot be out LBW to a delivery that pitches outside the line of leg-stump even if the ball would have hit the wicket as long as the batsman makes some token effort to play the ball. I look forward to some insight from our American cousins on this issue.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:47 PM

Tuck rule, enough said.

Since when are you from Oakland? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That aside, the NFL tries to take certain types of judgment out of calls. The tuck rule is an example. Simply, if the QB's arm is moving forward and he loses the ball when he's hit, it's an incomplete pass, and the officials are relieved from the responsibility of determining if the forward motion was or was not an attempt to throw.

In the Pats-Raiders game, Brady was obviously not trying to throw the ball. The rule, however, is there for situations where intent is not completely clear.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:21 PM

I was watching a college football game one time and during a punt, the defense was called for "roughing the center". Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:33 PM

Well I'm not American but that rule was introduced to stop bowlers from constantly bowling that line,if it wasnt in place there would be no need to place any fielder in the onside field as the leg side would be the only place a batsman could realisticaly hit the ball.(Now our American friends will REALLY be confused [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])