Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Dumbest rule in sports

I am nominating 2.

1. In basketball if the other team scores, and you call a timeout right away you now get the ball at half court. I hate this and dont understand why the team who called the timeout deserves to gain the advantage of moving the ball that ar up court without taking any time off of the clock.

2. Soccer. I never played the game but i was told that you are not allowed to call "mine" or "got it" and instead when calling the ball must say something like "rusty JEDI's ball." It was explained to me that this rule is because it is unethical to call mine because you could confuse the other team. How the hell can a sport with so many pansy Europeans diving when not even touched then roll around for a minute like they are dying begging for a call and then miraculously gettting up to run when the ball comes back their way (and now the europeans have ruined hockey in this manner) have a rule like this for "ethical" reasons. A sport like this has no ethics or sportsmanship in my opinion.

rJ
Old 03-12-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Dumbest rule in sports

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell can a sport with so many pansy Europeans diving when not even touched then roll around for a minute like they are dying begging for a call and then miraculously gettting up to run when the ball comes back their way

[/ QUOTE ]

so true - i got sick of watching the last soccer world cup - a famous aussie rules football player got horribly creamed in a game recently - he had shattered his cheek bone and broken his nose - he barely touched the ground before he jumped to his feet and ran after the ball - aussie rules has a "blood" rule so he had to leave the ground shortly after it happened - he then spent a week in hospital

whats so special about running about kicking a ball that you cant touch with your hands anyway ?

i got more you soccer fans...

i dont like the net cord rule when serving in tennis - if it hits the net it should still count i reckon

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 03-12-2004, 10:24 AM

my nomination is in college football where if a runner is 99 yards away from all the defenders, and trips on a beer cup, he's down, and can't get back up and run again, whether the other team touches him or not. I much prefer the man's rule, the NFL rule.

al
Old 03-12-2004, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell can a sport with so many pansy Europeans diving when not even touched then roll around for a minute like they are dying begging for a call and then miraculously gettting up to run when the ball comes back their way

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called gamesmanship, it's quite a popular tactic in all professional sport I think your find. When your 1-0 up with a minute to go it's a very valid part of the sport, when they are 1-0 up with a minute to go, they are nothing but cheating scumbags [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2004, 11:41 AM

The NFL has a bunch of ridiculous rules. Off the top of my head...

- If a FG attempt is blocked before it reaches the line of scrimmage and the kicking team recovers, they retain possession.

- Tuck rule, enough said.

- If an onside kick attempt goes out of bounds, the kicking team gets another attempt (actually, I think this rule was finally changed).

-- Homer
Old 03-12-2004, 11:49 AM

Dumbest rule in basketball is a shotclock violation, EVEN IF THE OPPOSING TEAM GAINS POSSESSION. For example, team A has 1 second left on the shotclock, and a player from team A hoists up a shot and the shotclock goes off. Meanwhile, the shot fails to hit the rim, and team B grabs the ball and makes a quick outlet pass. Quick fast break, right? Nope, the play is dead, team B gains possession and has to inbound the ball.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- If an onside kick attempt goes out of bounds, the kicking team gets another attempt (actually, I think this rule was finally changed).

[/ QUOTE ]

This one was changed.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:04 PM

Any rule (mainly football or basketball) that changes in the last two (or whatever) minutes of the quarter, half or game. Like those minutes count more than the other minutes.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:09 PM

No it isn't valid and ruins the sport entirely. I know it is a popular sport, the world's most popular, but the way sccer players go about it almost makes soccer a non-sport on the order of figure skating. When a guy rolls around and cries he should have to leave for the rest of the game at least. When they fake it, roll around crying like they will be in the hospital a month, and then play again, it should be a 5 year suspension, 1,000,000 fine, and if ever reinstated they should have to play in a pink dress. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 12:18 PM

You havn't really thought this thru.

What if 2 players on opposing teams were re-instated. Pink is too specific, I think you should change 'and if ever reinstated they should have to play in a pink dress' to 'and if ever reinstated they should have to play in a pastel dress which compliments the team strip'.