Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: 1st time ever calling a string bet.

(This is besides the point of the post, which has been well addressed) But I was thinking the same thing. And as for never calling string bets, when someone double dips his stack -- I always do, and rationalize it as a courtesy. This is a habit that people need to have broken, or take their chips out of the racks or whatever, because sooner or later it queers the action and causes problems -- my opinion, obviously.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Is this a string bet?

Hi All,

I'm uncertain about the rule, so let me give an example.

NLHE tourney, Able bets and Baker says "I'm going to raise." Baker tosses in enough chips to make the call while he's deciding how much to raise, then says "I'll raise it X" and puts out X chips.

Is that a string bet, given that Baker has clearly stated his intention to raise before taking any action? I ask because I often see this in WPT and WSOP events, where the player first announces an intention to raise, then puts out the chips required to call (which the dealer rakes into the pot), and finally puts out the chips for the raise.

Is this legal?

Cris
Old 02-24-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Is this a string bet?

it seems philosophically to be so.

the purpose for the rules against the string bet, is to prevent someone from just putting out a call to gauge teh reaction of their opponent who thinks they're just calling, the use that information to decide whether or not to raise.

so in NL if say, the bet was 100, and you called out that you were raising, then put in 200, then reached for 400 more, that owuld be a string raise.

but if you called out that you were raising and just put in 100 while reaching back for your riase i don't think so, because your opponent KNOWS that you aren't just betting what you put out there, and he doesn't know aything else abotu how much you are going to raise.

personally, i like reaching for your chips as if to bet if it's checked to you, and then deciding to check.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:56 PM

Rules vary from place to place, but verbal declaration is often considered binding, so the raise would stand in the situation you describe. In the club I play in, verbal declaration is binding to the point where, on the river, if you say "you win" or otherwise concede, you lose the hand even if you actually have a winner (this is mainly to prevent angleshooters from tricking other players into mucking prematurely). I generally announce my raises verbally.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:05 PM

If you verbally declare a raise, you can go to your stack as many times as you want and it is not a string bet. I have never played anywhere where this was not the rule.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

yknow, the more i thought about this today, the more and more i was pissed at myself for doing it. needless to say, it's enough that im taking 2+ days off from the live game to relax a bit before i go back in the trenches. should be enough time to pull my head out.

obviously, i agree. this wasnt a post of me bragging. look at my last 2 lines in the original. but thanks for the smackin'. i deserved it. i know better than to act like a puss like this.

b
Old 02-24-2004, 09:31 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
--"You've got to bring all your chips out at once,

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a stretch for the rule. say someone takes 4 chips in each hand in a 4-8 game. they release the chips in one hand, (calling) then a moment later, release the other chips(raising). this is a string as it's much like going back to your stack. the idea is you either verbally state raise, or take the chips in one hand. if your putting the chips in and realize you dont have enough, then you state raise as you put them in. unifying the motion of calling and raising.

there shouldnt have been a warning. the call for the string bet should've never been called. it was a stupid move on my part even if it was within the rules. i wouldnt care if the guy was your typical table coach a-hole who deserved it. but he wasnt. he happened to be there when i shouldnt have even been playing.

b

side note: not sure how they would rule if you had a stack of chips, cut them for the call, waited a moment (maybe a quick check around the table), then cut another for the raise. to me, it'd be a stringer just like the above.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 PM

Default Re: String betting is fun!!!

Interesting post. In my experience the highter the limit the less string bets are called. Many places make a raise of 50% or more allowable. This is the correct ruling IMO. I would rather speed up the game and keep action players playing fast (often without thinking) and save the string raise call for a true angle shooter. You have already acknowledged your actions were caused by your own emotions not the other player.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:23 PM

Speaking of the WPT and WSOP, didn't Moneymaker do a string bet when he was bluffing heads up? I'll have to watch it again when it comes on next time (seems like they're running two shows a day or so) but the dealer certainly thought that he was just calling and he said "I'm gonna raise" so emphatically that the announcer made a comment. I need to watch again to see if before that he says he's raising.

Anybody remember this?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:21 PM

Default huh...

I've called string bet many many times but I've never heard of it being illegal to stack your chips and push 2 piles in at once. seems like you were being something of a dick (not that I'm always opposed to that) but if that's the rule then it's within your rights. Stories like this make me glad I don't play live cards anymore