Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Limit move up!/ bankrolls

Just going to post my 2 cents on bankrolls. Masons and Daves bankroll requirements are for someone going pro, and
take into consideration large negative swings.
You can easily take a shot with $1500. Buy in for 400
and try to keep your wins and losses in the same range.

The 6-12 game actually plays larger than the 10-20 games at Hollywood. So go for it. Just start slowly to adjust to the different type of action and players.

good luck
Old 02-25-2004, 01:55 PM

You can easily take a shot with $1500. Buy in for 400
and try to keep your wins and losses in the same range.

I know I'm on the conservative end of the spectrum when it comes to bankrolls, but $1500 seems really reckless even for a recreational player. I usually buy in 2 racks in a 10/20 game if that puts things in perspective.

Also, I've always found S&M's bankroll advice and examples to be very low. 300 BB's just doesn't seem acceptable for someone playing pro. This is a swingy game.

GoT
Old 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM

Their bankroll requirements are probably fine for live games at limits 20-40 and lower for excellent players, which many pros and others are not, though they believe that they are. If one is a smaller winner, one needs more money. Similarly, if one plays on the internet, a larger bankroll might be a good idea, since the games are much more aggressive. Higher limit live games have the same problem, compounded with more skilled players, so the bankroll requirements are much higher.

I pay more attention to bankroll requirements than most players I know (Ulysses will attest to this) because I CANNOT replace my bankroll if I go broke. However, there is a lot of utility in taking shots at bigger games when they are good.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Limit move up!

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the response.... I have gone through the ruts @ 3/6.... I thought it was my lack of ability, and was thinking why do I play.... then I realized that it happens sometimes, read alot about the downswings and understand them..... I thought that you need 100xBB as a bankroll.... I definetely have that.... I think after all these responses I am going to stay at 6/12 for a little while, and maybe play a session of 10/20 the odd time.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 03:17 PM

I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about.... Is the player a big guy?

Thanks for the advice!

I would think 3-4 hours would be a better spurt.... it is very possible for me to sit down for an hour and not play a hand!
Old 02-25-2004, 03:25 PM

Jump RIGHT in.

No joke. There is nothing like actually experiencing it if you have the proper bankroll
Old 02-25-2004, 04:45 PM

Just my 2 cents, but I jumped straight from 3/6 to 10/20, without the "proper" bankroll, and didn't experience alot of problems. That and I always knew that I could just go back down to 3/6(there are no games between 3/6 and 10/20 where I play.). In fact, the first couple times I bought in at 10/20 for the minimum. Of course, having said all this, the players at the 10/20 where I play are pretty bad, basically just 3/6 players with more money.

See ya in the pit!

NoFun
Old 02-25-2004, 08:13 PM

well I have to disagree with you from my experience.
good luck
Old 02-25-2004, 08:18 PM

yes, his name is Brizz, actually that 10-20 is a very freindly game. seat 5 and 6 and 8 will also be regulars

good luck