Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Limit move up!

Hi everyone,

I just had a question with regards to moving up limits.

I have been playing poker seriously for about 4 months now.... I started out @ 3/6 and did well, while gaining experience at the tables. I then decided to move up to 6/12 and have done extremely well, that I am now equipped with a good sized bankroll to play 10/20. I feel very comfortable with my game and bankroll, but am unsure about the experience requirements. I know for the most part, that the players in the 10/20 games at Hollywood Park are weak, but there are probably a few who are better than most that I play with @ the 6/12 tables.

How many hours should I play @ 6/12 before I move up to 10/20.

Thanks for any of the future responses,

Steve
Old 02-24-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Limit move up!

Well how many hours have you played total? can you note most mistakes made by your opponents in the game you choose to play? do you select good games or just sit whenever a seat is available? do you critique your play after each session (do you keep a notebook)? and so on and so on...

basically what you should do (with that adequate bankroll) is PROBABLY just continue playing 6/12 while on occasion playing in what looks to be a good/great 10/20 game. (read: not much raising preflop, players going to far w/ losing hands, poor cold calls on flop and turn etc.)

also, while taking those occasional shots, watch the GOOD players at your table (if there are any) and see how they hands situations that you run into all the time.

hope this helps
-Barron
Old 02-24-2004, 05:12 PM

ive played a lot at hollywood park. the games there are amazing. the 15-30 there has to be the softest easiest mid limit game on earth.

start taking shots at the 10-20 but never be afraid to step back down to 6-12 if need be. once youve logged 10+ wins at the 10 you should not hesitate to sit in the 15.

Old 02-24-2004, 05:35 PM

thanks for the reply! I do not have alot of experience moving tables, as I always have a good table once I sit down..... most of the players are loose/passive, and a few are weak tight! It is pretty sad to be honest.... I do keep track of all my sessions and keep an average win rate and other stuff. I am pretty good at picking up betting habits and reads.... I am still learning to spot physical tells.... however, little things like watching players to see if they will fold or call/raise is something I have been getting alot better at.... I usually play 2/4 at my friends house every week, and my friends and I are a much tougher table than any I have encountered @ Hollywood.... It is almost like they are making donations! Even the odd good player shows his weakness when he gets upset at losing to a weak player on a low percentage draw....

I think I will take your advice, play a little longer @ 6/12, build up the bankroll a little higher and then sit @ the 10/20. The last thing I want to do is play with scared money..... the reason I played 3/6 for 3 months....

Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 05:40 PM

thanks for the advice.... I had a feeling the tables were like that.... I mean I see the same person play 3/6 play 15/30..... it is kinda weird!

I think I will play a little longer at the 6/12, gain some more experience and then hit the 10/20 table. I do not want to play with scared money....

thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 05:44 PM

Hi Sleeper,

I don't feel that there should be time limit on when you should move up. Take a stab at 10/20 if you have the bankroll and are very confident in your game. Keep in mind that in the future, after you've played a few 10/20 games, that does not restrict you from coming back to your 6/12 game, where you are not only comfortable, but successful. Take it from a profiting 6/12 regular who got crushed when I decided to play 9/18 regularly for two weeks. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the advice.... do you feel you played well and just lost, or that the other players were better?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:38 PM

The 10/20 only really seems to go on Friday and Sunday now, I think. It is a very soft game. You should be able to do quite well in it just playing by the book. (HPFAP that is)
Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 PM

Thanks Gabe.... How many 2+2ers play at Hollywood Park?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 PM

I think that my opinion is quite different than the others here. I think you should play higher right now. Take a chance. You say you have a "good-sized bankroll" to play the bigger games, so do it! Really, I don't think you even need that. I frequently play games that are too big for my bankroll, and I CANNOT replace my bankroll. However, I won't ever go broke. Why?

I have a game that I play all the time, and will assure myself that I have an adequate bankroll for it (say 300 or 400 BB's). Anything that's above that, I can take a shot with. Most of the time, I will fail, but every once in a while, I will "get hot" and boost my bankroll to a new level. Now, I can play the bigger game as my daily game. Also, in the process of moving up, you play against better competition, and you will, in turn, improve yourself. Also, you worry about scared money. If you do what I do, you won't be scared to lose. Plus, you need to grow accustomed to losing significantly more money in the bigger games. This is perhaps the most important skill you can learn, because big losses can ignite tilting, which can further destroy a player when moving up. By taking little nibbles, you get galvanized to these things, and you will be better off. Finally, realize that the swings at the bigger games will be proportionally higher, since the players are generally more aggressive (unless the rake is so large that it is your primary enemy, which is the case at the lowest limits). Good luck!