Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: When things are going horrible take that last stack to the cage or...

Haha! Sorry! Complete typo on my part. My SD at the full 15/30 games online is 8.4 BB/hr, not 4.8. Still very low compared to most, and especially considering my hourly rate there, which so far is 1.64 BB/hr/table.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think my low SD is the result of my super-tight playing style. My VP$IP is just below 14% at those tables, so I'm sacrificing some hands that would give me a little extra EV in order to keep my SD low. Even so, I still experience some big swings (earlier today for instance, I went down $3400 in a period of 150 minutes, took a break, and then went back to the tables and went up $3700 in a period of 3 hours), and so I can't even imagine what kind of swings I might have periodically if I were to add a bunch of high SD hands. I keep a decent BR (800 BB's), but I still can see myself losing a good chunk of it on a bad run of cards. I've read dozens of times on these boards that all pro's go bust at one time or another during their carreer. I really would like to be the exception to that rule, so I'm going to do everything I can to guard the roll. If that means sacrificing .05 BB/hr/table worth of profit in order to give myself a 20% less chance of going bust, I'll take it.

For those same reasons, I'm done with my experiment with SH play. For now anyways. I'm going back to playing full-handed tables for a while, mostly because of the high variance. Also, I've found that I can't play more than 2 SH games at once without sacrificing the quality of my play, so I'll have a better hourly rate overall playing 3 full-handed tables anyways, and keep my SD down where I like it to be.

That's just the way I look at things right now. I'm very new to poker compared to most pros (been a winning player for under 9 months), so I know that I still have a lot to learn, so I may be looking at this the wrong way. At the present juncture in time though, that's the approach I'm trying to take with my game. I'm sure that will evolve over time, just as many other of my perspectives on poker have, but I'm just trying to learn as I go as quickly and as thoroughly as I possibly can from those wiser and more experienced than myself. I may not be the most pokerest of pokerers, but that's not going to stop me from trying to get there. I'm here to soak in as much from you guys as I can.

GoT
Old 02-08-2004, 02:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: When things are going horrible take that last stack to the cage or...

wow, i didn't know it was that complex. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

do you agree with me, though, that i shouldn't worry about my table stats?

Old 02-08-2004, 05:12 PM

Yes, you should ignore the table thing and do it all as one.

Personally I am in love with the SD/100 hands thing. It keeps thing very consistent no matter how many games you are playing at once since it's a nice standard unit.

The thing is, people use the wrong unit for standard deviation which is what confuses most people I think. From the formula, the actualy units for SD would be [financial units] / [time units]^(1/2), which if we were to use BB's and hours would be BB / hour^(1/2), but for the sake of brevity people just say bb per hour.