Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Black and White, Baby

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what the basis is for these statments. 70% is a low turnout in a UK general election. 50% would be

[/ QUOTE ]

Historically true ramjam, but not so much now.

There wasn't much difference between the last US election and the UK one, both were in the 50's percent of turnout. For my mind that represents the complete disdain that people in the UK have learnt for UK politics.

Besides I don't think voter turnout is a true reflection of peoples attitude to politics anyway. I've voted in every election, and I absolutely despise the reality of our 'democracy'. The vast majority of people I know didn't vote in the last election. And if anything it's only going to get worse, not better.

People in the US seem to respect politics, and the vast majority seem to have a very strong loyalty to one party.
People in the UK seem to utterly disdain politics, and a large percentage see all parties as equally bad.

That is EXACTLY what I mean about our different attitudes...
Old 01-17-2004, 10:30 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Re: How about this one then? (O/T)

[ QUOTE ]
Cyndie, Mike, jek187, Lori and the Pope are in the plane. Does the plane hit the ground before a consensus is reached?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Moral dilemma. (O/T)

I think it was darn funny! Why dont you relax and read some comics - there will be more truth and wisdom than whats coming out of Bush´s mouth....
Old 01-17-2004, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the attitude of people in the UK stems from our belief that we are not choosing the best leader for our country, no matter who runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that this attitude of the british public comes partially from the fact that you guys dont actually choose party leaders and hence you really dont choose the prime minister. There is a lack of direct connection between the voter and the PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:02 AM

I believe that this attitude of the british public comes partially from the fact that you guys dont actually choose party leaders and hence you really dont choose the prime minister. There is a lack of direct connection between the voter and the PM.

That's a very interesting point that I had never considered.
Makes a lot of sense.

Lori
Old 01-18-2004, 03:18 PM

No time to change the film...gotta go with what's in there...hopefully color. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry about the people jumping a bit there. I am and have been a large supporter of President Bush. I have a son in the military who fought in Afghanistan of whom I am very proud and I can honestly say that I can think of no candidate from the election of 2000 that I would rather have as his Commander in Chief. However, I still found it funny. People need to lighten up.

I also wanted to comment a bit on the 2000 election side issue. People tend to forget something. It was Gore who brought suit in Federal Court, circumventing the electoral process. When the Circuit Court of Appeals refused to reach a decision they threw it back to the State of Florida who immediately granted a hearing. Fearing the outcome of the hearing, Gore's team filed a writ with the Supreme Court asking them to force the State of Florida to re-examin all ballots in certain (Democratic) counties. The Supreme Court refused to grant the petition on the basis of the 12th and 14th Ammendment in a 5-4 vote and the decision of the Florida State Board of Elections and the certification of the vote by the Florida Secretary of State (a Republican by the way) stood.

Sorry this was so long but so many people get it wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2004, 08:23 PM

"Is this what they call 'Night Vision'?"

Old 01-18-2004, 09:09 PM

I think of myself as being in tune with politics as the average American. My take is that the people who care about politics are very vocal, while there is a large centrist group that no one talks or hears about, who don't really believe they are part of the process. In my opinion, Bush has been a very polarizing factor in US politics, so the voices of both the pro-Bush and anti-Bush factions are screaming even louder.

Just my $.02.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:14 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2004, 09:51 PM

So that's the guy who always caps?

Lori