Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: You\'re All Wrong

yep, you can thank Mr Zee for that. Still a brilliant play by him.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: The Final Answer

It is not undisputable, as no play in poker is undisputable. This is an imaginary situation. It would almost certainly never occur. This isn't a freeroll, it's the WSOP. This wouldn't even happen in a 50 dollar buy in tourney, much less 10,000. If the play is made, the initial all in has AA. I have never come close to folding AA in tournament or ring game preflop, and maybe I'm just playing Devil's advocate here, but it is not irrational to consider a fold in this situation, nor is it indisputable that a call is the only play.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:42 AM

The IRS guy's name is Brunson? ROFLMAO
Old 01-09-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Re: what?

roflmao
Old 01-09-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: An Interesting WSOP scenario...

<font color="blue"> However, the more I talked to him the more I began to buy into the very idea that the WSOP now more than ever has become a marathon, not a sprint. </font>

Right. So I'd call and, after the hand, leave the table to head to the gym. Either I'd be out and need to take out some aggression, or I'd be doubled-up and want to work out the adrenaline so that I could get a good night's sleep and be fresh for Day 2.

Having been in multi-day competetive contests before, the hardest thing is to keep fresh, particularly with an early lead. I haven't played a multi-day poker event, but I'd guess it's the same. Certainly in professional golf, day 1 (of 4) big leaders often fade.

By the way, laying down shows poker ego -- it suggests that you play well enough to be able to win while side-stepping high-EV oppportunities because they come with high-risk. I'm not good enough to do that.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is not undisputable, as no play in poker is undisputable. This is an imaginary situation. It would almost certainly never occur. This isn't a freeroll, it's the WSOP. This wouldn't even happen in a 50 dollar buy in tourney, much less 10,000. If the play is made, the initial all in has AA. I have never come close to folding AA in tournament or ring game preflop, and maybe I'm just playing Devil's advocate here, but it is not irrational to consider a fold in this situation, nor is it indisputable that a call is the only play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously did not read the link attached to my post to which you replied. Please complete the assignment and let me know if you have reconsidered your position.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:07 AM

I push in faster than something that pushes very quickly.

It's good to see that somebody else here has attended and graduated from Simile School. It's also good to see that you guys have been debating very tough and difficult situations such as this one while I've been away. :insert sarcastic smiley here:

This is an easy call, ESPECIALLY with tough players at your table and ESPECIALLY since it's very early in a multi-day tourney. Your goal in the early stages of these "marathon" tournament events should be to maximize your EV. If you make the same EV plays that should be correct in cash games early on in large tourneys, you'll get to the final table more than your fair share of the time. Avoiding situations with such HUGE, HUGE, HUGE EV as folding AA PF early on to avoid the variance that comes with it is a big mistake.

If your situation occurred on or near the bubble or on the edge of an interesting prize money gap or at some other situation where your tournament chips aren't worth their face value, then the situation may take some thinking. But this scenario is absurdly easy: Move in.

GoT
Old 01-10-2004, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I push in faster than something that pushes very quickly.

It's good to see that somebody else here has attended and graduated from Simile School. It's also good to see that you guys have been debating very tough and difficult situations such as this one while I've been away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for using such highfalutin language constructs, I didn't mean to showboat.

We've missed you too, GoT.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:04 AM

Default I\'ll tell you what.

If you asked hellmuth or chan or clutier or scotty ngyuen this question they would just say
"i call" without a second thought. While they might not be happy to give their opponent 5 cards to catch, they are a 4-1 favorite against KK which is probably the case, and much better again AK, if you fold this, you aren't trying to win
Old 01-10-2004, 02:24 PM

It would seem to me....in my very unexpert opine....that your folding scenario has you too emotionally attached to your money, which is a bad thing, rather than very simply making an easy obviously correct mathematical decision.