Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2003, 09:39 PM

Default Re: I dont agree

[ QUOTE ]

alot of money? it was an extra small bet preflop. which, btw, he may also have the best hand at the moment. if i was able to limp-reraise, which schneid pointed out watching the players behind you, from LP, id do it much more often with huge overpairs. if you bet into me on the flop, im raising and finding out where im at then. another thing that really helps this play is his position which he can use to possibly blow a winning hand off the pot. not to mention it can get you an easy call closing the action to spike a set on the turn with nice implied odds if you hit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this hand he would have had to pay at least the cap pre flop and a small bet at least on the flop (if he wanted to continue) and with a small PP this cant be good unless you hit your set, however i do understand that we are in the area now were a small PP could have the odds to spike the set on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
you're forgetting you may have others in the hand and your worried about the last guy to act behind you. say you 'bet out' and get raised by a different player on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not really opposed to this I think this will now pressure the button even more.

[ QUOTE ]
your raise would be to try and get the others out if you had AKo, IMO. depending on the limpers, the coldcalls behind your cap may tell you some of your outs are gone. and as another responder mentioned, AA and KK are very common limpreraise hands. youd be blowing alot of chips if you always capped at this point. however, suited AK i would, no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not believe for a second this guy has AA or KK even before knowing what he had. I think a solid player raises and looser player who didnt raise the first time around doesnt wake up all the sudden and say "ok I will raise now"

[ QUOTE ]
but also as schnied said, if you're playing against guys you seem to always play with, it has even more value to try once in awhile. personally, i rarely limp reraise since i tend to raise alot of different hands preflop depending on the texture of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This i agree with. Party 2/4 3/6 no way.

[ QUOTE ]
but your taking 1 hand and basing a whole adjustment and assessment on a player you know little about assuming he plays loose a wild like this. and THAT'S a way to blow alot of money. id need to see much more than just this hand of this players play before i jump to those conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not making a complete judgement on this hand but I am now marking this player as loose until he shows me otherwise. I think Bob summed this up better than I can.

Good stuff b

Old 12-26-2003, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A button limp reraise screams AA or KK 95% of the time,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever seen this move from AA or KK. Every time I've seen it, it has been a gambler building a big pot with a speculative hand.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, let's pretend for a minute you are the button, and in a live game, and the BB has pretty much telegraphed to you he/she is planning on raising PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, in this particular case I was playing on Party Poker, so I don't think I was telegraphing anything. What I actually thought was that perhaps they were a weak player with AA or KK, hoping to limp and sorta slowplay their "big hand". But, when I raised from BB, they decided to go ahead and reraise. It turned out no to be the case, however.

Old 12-27-2003, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Call/Raise on the button preflop...anyone do this?

As some others mentioned, late position limp raises after limpers are rarely big pairs. It's usually a small pair or a suited connector or something similar.

This pot is getting big enough that you should be willing to put in an extra bet or two if it increases your chances of winning the hand. So, my plan in this case would be to call the preflop 3-bet and check raise almost any flop in an effort to get heads up with the button and take it from there.