Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Re: The Tally So Far...

I didn't see the double gut-shot, but I agree with nottom. I would call if the pot were a little bigger.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Pop Quiz - What Would You Do?

1. Raise
2. Bet. I thought about a check-raise semi-bluff here. Now I'm thinking that 's too aggressive.
3. Call because it closes the betting and see if the flop hits.
4. Bet. I've found that agains a passive table, taking free cards end up killing you more than they're worth. Bet when it's cheap and take the free river card if you're not helped.
5. I so want to raise here, but it's probably foolish, but I'd do it anyway.
6. Fold, I'd be afraid of being the smaller str8 even if I hit.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:52 PM

1) Call. After a bet and two callers, a flop raise won't help to protect your hand. Best to see what card comes off on the turn and what your opponents do before the action gets to you.

2) Check/Bet, depending on table texture. If I think I can get most of my 6 opponents to lay down to a flop bet, then I'll go ahead and bet and hopefully take it down with a bet on the turn, whether or not I get there. In most low-limit games, a bet will be called by 3-4 of 6 players, which isn't horrible since in that case you're getting value, but it might also be raised by a T in which case you're paying two bets to see the turn with your draw. Also, by checking you can see where (if at all) a bet comes from, so you know whether to lead out or checkraise the turn when you catch.

3) Call. Easy call. See GOT's 88 thread in the SS forum. The situation is almost identical.

4) Check. You whiffed, the board is coordinated and you have three opponents, so take the free card. Against two or less opponents, I'd strongly consider betting.

5) Call/Fold, depending on table texture. If the players behind you are super passive, I'd call. If not, I'd fold. You're getting 4:1 and have somewhere between 6-11 outs, depending on whether the flush draw is out there and whether an Ace will be good. On average, I'd say you have 8 outs, which makes you a little less than 5:1 against getting there.

6) Call. You're getting 5.5:1 if BB doesn't re-raise, and have 6 outs (maybe 8), making you a shade under 7:1 against getting there. I see no reason to fear AK or K9 if a Q comes, so all 6 outs are likely good. If you catch you'll make up the rest in implied odds.

-- Homer
Old 12-24-2003, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Bet. I've found that agains a passive table, taking free cards end up killing you more than they're worth. Bet when it's cheap and take the free river card if you're not helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. How often is a free card going to hurt your hand when it seems unlikely that your A-high is going to win unimproved?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:58 PM

5) Call/Fold, depending on table texture. If the players behind you are super passive, I'd call. If not, I'd fold. You're getting 4:1 and have somewhere between 6-11 outs, depending on whether the flush draw is out there and whether an Ace will be good. On average, I'd say you have 8 outs, which makes you a little less than 5:1 against getting there.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that calling is rarely correct. You have to be 100% sure that no one behind you will raise, and even then, it's close. So calling will either be slightly correct or very, very wrong.

I make calls like this too often without considering the size of the pot and that there are players yet to act behind me. I just think, "ooh a double gutshot and an overcard, I call!"

-- Homer
Old 12-24-2003, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. How often is a free card going to hurt your hand when it seems unlikely that your A-high is going to win unimproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I see your point now, you're right
Old 12-24-2003, 03:51 PM

Default Final Tally, What I Did and Results

[ QUOTE ]
Here's some situations I faced last night and had varying degrees of indeciveness regarding the best play. What would you do in these situations?

Loose, passive for the most part. No decent reads or notes on anyone.

1. Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. 4 limpers, I limp, blinds call. Flop [Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]. Blinds check, UTG+1 bets, 2 callers to me.

2. K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. 5 limpers, I complete, BB checks. Flop [10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]].

3. 10-10 in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, MP 3-bets, button and SB call the 3.

4. A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO. 2 limpers to me, I raise, BB and limpers call. Flop [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]. Checked to me.

5. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+2. First 2 limp, I limp, 4 more callers including both blinds. Flop [10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]. Checked around. Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to UTG+1 who bets.

6. I post in the CO and get 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. 3 limp, I check, button and blinds in. Flop [J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]. SB checks, BB bets, UTG raises, folded to me.

Results and what I did to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Vote: 4 raise / 3 call / 1 fold PF.
Me: I called. Turn was a blank and I folded to UTG+1's bet. He took it down with K-Qo.
My Score vs. 2+2 majority = -1.

2. Vote: 6 bet / 2 check.
Me: I checked. It got checked through. Turn was a 7, checked through again. 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hit the river, I bet, UTG raised, all fold to me, I ponder, I 3-bet, he caps, I swear, he flips 6-4o, I smile, I make a player note.
My Score vs. 2+2 majority = -2

3. Vote: 7 call / 1 fold.
Me: I called. UTG+2 called the 3-bet. I check/folded an A-Q-7 flop.
My Score vs. 2+2 majority = -1.

4. Vote: 5 Check / 3 bet.
Me: I bet. Got 2 callers. Turn was a 10. They both called my bet. River paired the 4. They both called my bet. I'm good. One had 6-6, the other J-10.
My score vs. 2+2 majority = -2.

5. Vote: 5 fold / 1 call / 1 raise / 1 fold PF.
Me: I called (see Homer for thought process), only the BB called as well. River was an Ace. I called UTG+1's bet. I lost to Q-10o turned 2 pair.
Score vs. 2+2 majority = -3.

6. Vote: 5 call / 4 fold.
Me: I folded. Folded around to the BB who called. Turn was a K. BB check/called UTG+1's bet. River was a 3rd spade. It goes check/check. BB had 10s-7s for the flush.
My score vs. 2+2 majority = -4.

Well, looks like I failed the quiz, making 5 of 6 decisions against the grain although some were close. And just when I thought I was making progress [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Thanks everyone. Any post mortum comments?

Old 12-24-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Final Tally, What I Did and Results

[ QUOTE ]
Well, looks like I failed the quiz, making 5 of 6 decisions against the grain although some were close. And just when I thought I was making progress [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Thanks everyone. Any post mortum comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so results oriented! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2003, 04:12 PM

Without reading any of the other replies...

[ QUOTE ]
Here's some situations I faced last night and had varying degrees of indeciveness regarding the best play. What would you do in these situations?

Loose, passive for the most part. No decent reads or notes on anyone.

1. Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. 4 limpers, I limp, blinds call. Flop [Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]. Blinds check, UTG+1 bets, 2 callers to me.

Raise

2. K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. 5 limpers, I complete, BB checks. Flop [10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]].

Check with the intention of calling one bet

3. 10-10 in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, MP 3-bets, button and SB call the 3.

Fold

4. A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO. 2 limpers to me, I raise, BB and limpers call. Flop [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]. Checked to me.

check

5. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+2. First 2 limp, I limp, 4 more callers including both blinds. Flop [10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]. Checked around. Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to UTG+1 who bets.

Fold

6. I post in the CO and get 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. 3 limp, I check, button and blinds in. Flop [J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]. SB checks, BB bets, UTG raises, folded to me.

Fold

Results and what I did to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-25-2003, 02:11 AM

Without reading other threads to this post;

[ QUOTE ]
Loose, passive for the most part

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering your read on the texture of the table, here's my play on things:

1)Raise- top pair with decent kicker and backdoor straight and flush draw; I don't want a bunch of callers and have position. My raise does two things; knocks out players that the flop did not hit, and gives me an idea of where I'm at by other players actions.

2)Check- wait and see where the action comes from. If EP bets and gets callers, I might stay for one Sb with my overcard K and 2nd nut flush draw. If there is a bet and raise to me, I still might call for one card depending on how many previous callers before action gets to me.

3)Call- I'm getting 11/2 on my call. Close, but I would want to see the flop with my medium pocket pair. If flop doesn't hit me hard, I fold.

4)Bet-I have position and have raised preflop. By betting, I am hoping to take the pot right there. If called I have overcards and backdoor straight and flush draws. I do not want to give away a free card here.

5)Call- I limped [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] with A/Jo and the flop was checked around.On the turn I have 8 outs (4 kings 4 nines) as well as an overcard.

6)Fold- Even with my open ended straight draw and position, the BB bet and UTG raise to me is too expensive. I would have to have a good feel for UTG's play to call 2 cold, especially when the board has 2 suited, and I have undercards to the straight draws. Live to fight another day, with better cards and flop.