Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2003, 07:16 AM

Default Pop Quiz - What Would You Do?

Here's some situations I faced last night and had varying degrees of indeciveness regarding the best play. What would you do in these situations?

Loose, passive for the most part. No decent reads or notes on anyone.

1. Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. 4 limpers, I limp, blinds call. Flop [Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]. Blinds check, UTG+1 bets, 2 callers to me.

2. K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. 5 limpers, I complete, BB checks. Flop [10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]].

3. 10-10 in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, MP 3-bets, button and SB call the 3.

4. A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO. 2 limpers to me, I raise, BB and limpers call. Flop [8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]. Checked to me.

5. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+2. First 2 limp, I limp, 4 more callers including both blinds. Flop [10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]. Checked around. Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to UTG+1 who bets.

6. I post in the CO and get 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. 3 limp, I check, button and blinds in. Flop [J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]. SB checks, BB bets, UTG raises, folded to me.

Results and what I did to follow.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Pop Quiz - What Would You Do?

1. raise
2. bet
3. call
4. check
5. fold
6. call
Old 12-24-2003, 10:18 AM

1. call but if a Q-9- [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or str8 draw hits be ready to raise the Turn
2. Bet
3. Call but fold if you don't hit your set on the flop.
4. check
5. fold
6. fold
Old 12-24-2003, 10:45 AM

Hand 1: Fold this preflop--then you won't have to make a decision about how to play this hand when the flop delivers you TP.

Hand 2: I think checkcalling is fine. I would hate to bet and then have a raise after me knock out everyone else, especially since potentially pairing my crappy kicker will likely be no help.

Hand 3: Easy, easy call. Assuming UTG+2 will call for one more, you are getting 6.5:1 to hit a set, on which you will collect huge. Just don't be afraid to let go of the hand if the flop misses you and the action heats up.

Hand 4: Against three limpers, I might just take the free card, since it's unlikely you are going to win unimproved. I would only bet if the table was playing so weak-tight that you thought a raise would knock everyone out.

Hand 5: This is an easy fold PF...why give yourself difficult decisions to make post-flop out of position?

Hand 6: At first I was going to say coldcall, since you're getting 5:1, but the fact that you are drawing to the wrong end of the straight and are quite possibly up against a flush draw would lead me to want better odds. I would fold.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:03 AM

1) I disagree with anyone who says to dump this preflop. This is an easy call.

Sometimes I would raise, sometimes I would call. Normally when those are the choices I tend to err on the side f aggression.

2)Bet

3)I'd likely call.

4)If flop bets are getting any respect I might bet. I've been checking here more and more and just seeing what the turn brings.

5) Fold

6) Call
Old 12-24-2003, 11:31 AM

#5 UTG +2 is that 4 or 5 off the Button? Heck I'd raise but I'm NORMALLY an aggressive player pre-flop). (BTW - I vol$pot 20%).

Sorry for going against the grain on that one.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:33 AM

Interesting post.

1. Either call or raise. Just based on experience, I find the hand plays better if I just call. There is a decent chance that you are behind, so see what card comes on the turn and what the action is to you.

2. I don't think I'm drawing dead, so I bet. At most low limit games, anyone with a 10 will just call anyway, so I think you might actually get to play the hand cheaper by betting the flop. I don't think checking and calling would be bad either. I might check-fold depending on the action.

3. I fold. Calling two more might be close, but if it is capped your implied odds are shot to hell.

4. Nice raise. I would be the flop even though you are not going to get everyone to fold. If you are left with one opponent, I would bet again on the turn. If not, I would take a free card.

5. Easy fold for me. Maybe I have 7 outs but the pot is too small.

6. I just call and hope the BB just calls.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:11 PM

Default The Tally So Far...

1. 2 raise, 2 call, 1 fold PF

2. 4 bet, 1 check

3. 4 call, 1 fold

4. 3 check, 2 bet

5. 4 fold, 1 fold PF (very surprised here - did anyone notice the double gutshot?)

6. 3 call, 2 fold

I'll see if we get a few more replies before posting what I did. Judging by the responses so far, I can see why I was indecisive.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: The Tally So Far...

[ QUOTE ]
5. 4 fold, 1 fold PF (very surprised here - did anyone notice the double gutshot?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, you are only getting 4-1 on your call. You could chop if you hit, you could be up against a flush draw and have less outs then you think, you could get raised behind you. Prolly still not worth it.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:29 PM

1. Raise
2. Bet
3. Call
4. Check
5. Fold -- the pot is too small to be worth chasing with a possibility of a raise behind.
6. Call