Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Analysis of Buy-In?

Ahhhh...
That's probably why I drive a Camry, not a Ford F-950. Thanks for the causation/correlation enlightenment! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2003, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey everyone!

1) Is he a maniac?
2) Is he trying to look like a maniac?
3) Did he simply push the wrong button and bought in for all the money in his account?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

1. Most likely not.
2. Yes, most likely so.
3. Most likely not again.

From my past experiences with so called "big buy-in" players are that they tend to overcompensate for something else. Having lots of chips in front of them may give them a feeling of domination and great confidence. Rarely will they play a crazy style game. Often, they usually play 2 or 3 rounds at the most and cash out feeling that they won or didn't lose too much percentage wise.

Having said this, it is important to keep a good sized stack in front of you though. A smaller stack is much easier to attack and one should never play with a short stack. For example, in my 10-20 kill game often half the players will have over 1k in chips in front of them, which is a good fair size. So I usually buy in for my $500, but then as soon as I drop down to $300 or less I will rebuy for another $700 or so and make sure my stack is up to par with other players. This does two important things:

1. raise my confidence level and match my stack with others so I don't feel as intimidated.

2. other players think i have lots of money and am now willing to drop it so hopefully i'll get more action.

Besides, playing short stacked is just wrong imo.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:37 PM

I do this all the time online. I do it for a few reasons.

1) You can only play one table at Truepoker(so what difference does it make where the money is).

2) It gets a reaction (bringing $3000 to a 1/2 game), and surprisingly more respect.

3) It's easier to keep track of how I am doing

However, the king of oversized buy-ins I've seen is CrazyAl. He is known for buying in for $19,000 at a 5/10 or 10/20 game. You'll see his stack grow over time until it hits $20,000, as he then cashes out $10,000.

The more interesting to strategy is those who buy in for the exact minimum. Usually you can run those players over.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:32 PM

I've played with one of these people! The pyramid is some kind of misguided good luck charm that just erodes at the rate of a rack an hour. I tried stacking my chips in a sloppy "anti-pyramid" setup that looked like Lego on drugs and the guy went nuts, believing I was offsetting his "powers." Sometimes its just too funny.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:37 PM

I like to buy at a weird amount. say its $3-6 at party. everyones buying in for $150. I buy in for about $96 let them come tring to run over me. Thats exactly why I did it.

Theres plent of Ammo ready to reload a click away. Just don't let it get so low you cant fully bet every street if you got the goods.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:35 PM

1. Of course having a big stack can be an intimidating factor. Especially at a lower limit table where players may be on the rebound with only a small stack to wager with. Players think before they bet with a small stack can this guy or will this guy put me all in if i bet, and many will be so passive they'll simply give their money to you.

2. I play alot of no limit on UB for .25/.50 or .50/1.00 and when that one hand comes or when that big run of hands that comes to all good poker players hits me i like to have money to put out there. When i get the nuts and a large stack steps into a trap i want to get his whole stack, So i always buy in with a nice sized stack.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:30 AM

I guess it's obvious that relative stack size is more important in a NL game than in a limit game. In a limit game, you can only bet X amount at a time so I don't always have to worry about big stack putting a move on my limited funds all at once.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:45 AM

What about this question? For psychological reasons, how
much should one place at a table playing LHE? I usually
buy in for at least 50 BBs but it seems much higher than the
norm online. To have more chips in a B&M makes more sense
and I don't think 100 BBs is that unreasonable; after all,
you don't plan on losing even half of it!