Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Re: How bad is this online fold?

[ QUOTE ]
i don't even know how much the pot was, i guess i just type out messages fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you read the post, right? Without having to count the bets, it should be pretty obvious to any solid mid-limit player whether that's a pot in the "chasing a 1 or 2-outer might be a good idea"-sized range. And really, how do you read to the end of that post without knowing how many bets are in the pot (+/- a couple of bets) anyway? No big deal. I was just surprised that at the end of the post you didn't (without counting or paying much attention) have an idea that the pot was about x number of bets.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty confident in my poker skills though

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, uh, that's good, I guess. But it wouldn't hurt to learn some basics about pot odds.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:35 PM

"yet I felt folding was better than paying two more big bets"

You only needed to pay one more big bet to see your river card.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:25 PM

it seems to me you will need to come up with about 4-5 hands that your ahead of that UTG will jam with for this to be a positive EV (i.e. A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] etc.) since there are about 24 hands your chasing. This also assumes you have the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and your ahead of the SB who is most likely on a flush draw.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:26 PM

Default results. . .

Sorry about the delayed response, but I was all busy with school, and then I started playing poker again. I don't know how online players find/budget as much time as they do to this forum sometimes, but anyways. . .

UTG showed, as someone guessed, QTo, and took it down. As most people noted, I think I botched this one preflop, but, then again, my 6 handed statement was a retrospective approximation, and it may have been 7 or 8, since online action is fast, number of players change every three minutes, etc. But, for the sake of the discussion, let's say it was six, and then it should have 3 bet preflop. I don't make a habit of folding overpairs online, in fact, I almost make a rule of never doing it short-handed. A lot of my decision had to do with a bad run and paying off on a few hands I shouldn't, but I generally agree with most posters about bad the fold was, especially against an unknown.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:30 PM

"you should reraise the turn. and dont play 20-40 or 30-60 6 handed online unless you want to be consistently put to the test and just happily pay off loose players who get there and so on and so forth."

This is generally very good advice, but I had no real indication that my opponent was loose, but I still think one should assume this as a rule instead of looking for a reason to fold. . .
Old 01-08-2004, 05:52 PM

Default \"Typical\" Players

This is generally very good advice, but I had no real indication that my opponent was loose, but I still think one should assume this as a rule instead of looking for a reason to fold. . .

In today's environment, especially online, absolutely. I think the S&M books tend to suggest a "typical" player who is tighter and much less aggressive than today's usual crop.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: \"Typical\" Players

In today's environment, especially online, absolutely. I think the S&M books tend to suggest a "typical" player who is tighter and much less aggressive than today's usual crop.

Yeah, this has been discussed and agreed upon universally. The hard part is finding out how to play the best aginst unknown players without paying off too much. Sometimes, as mike l. noted, you just have to. Ulysses just posted about his standard play with AK just to bet, call a check-raise when it happens, and to call the river. I have this problem too. It's probably not the worst thing against a lot of players, but it's not good poker either. I think it's funny that hpfap says somewhere that if you understand the concepts you should be able to make a bet an hour in 6 months or something like that, which I find very unlikely. . .
Old 01-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Re: \"Typical\" Players

[ QUOTE ]
I think the S&M books tend to suggest a "typical" player who is tighter and much less aggressive than today's usual crop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome point.