Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2003, 06:18 PM

Default How bad is this online fold?

Stars 30-60, 6 handed. . .

I have JJ in the bb. UTG raise, sb coldcalls, I call.

flop T 7 5 two hearts. sb checks, I bet, UTG raises, sb coldcalls, I 3 bet. utg and sb call.

Turn 6 no heart. sb checks, I bet, utg raises, sb cold calls, I fold. . .

I ask because I thought it was a marginal situation, yet I felt folding was better than paying two more big bets with a potentially dicey river to deal with in light of the sb's presence, but Paluka said he wouldn't even consider it.

Also, I didn't really have a read on utg's play, as I had only played against him/her for about 20 minutes and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: How bad is this online fold?

Seems like a good fold to me. The call 3-bet on flop and then raise turn usually means buisness!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:04 PM

Awful. I would never fold here.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

all you've represented is a flush draw or a ten. terrible fold. i would have 3bet preflop.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:03 PM

Pretty bad.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:14 PM

I agree with the 3-bet preflop. But wondering why Everybody seems to disagree with me? What do you put UTG on?
Old 11-24-2003, 08:19 PM

Hi glen,
This is a very bad fold. UTG's in a situation where he wants to move the SB out whether he's ahead or not. He may have you beaten, but he could easily have a good ten. The SB's probably on a heart draw, so your play is to call or re-raise, since there's a very good chance you're leading at this time. If you knew UTG to be tight, or solid, etc., you should just call, but in that gravy train of a 30-60 game, I would re-raise about 2/3 of the time.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:33 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

he has an overpair, so who cares what utg has?

he folded as a reaction to utg's actions, not as a result of putting him on a hand (at least so far as was described). if he explained that he just knew the guy had a set, well, i'd still call it a bad fold. but i digress.

what is more important is what utg puts HIM on. he called preflop, and bet/3bet the flop. most 30/60 players could do this with a variety of hands, including any pair or a flush draw.

if he had 3bet preflop he would be most likely to be getting their money in the pot while he held the best hand, and the rest of it would have been much more readable.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:12 PM

youre probably beat an irritating amount of the time but given the size of the pot your hand is surely best enough to keep playing. since you didnt reraise preflop as you should have he has no reason to believe his T or whatever is not best. you should reraise the turn. and dont play 20-40 or 30-60 6 handed online unless you want to be consistently put to the test and just happily pay off loose players who get there and so on and so forth.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:16 PM

"The call 3-bet on flop and then raise turn usually means buisness!"

no that sounds like the nut flush draw trying to take 2 players to the turn and build a pot. a lot of people would slowplay a set here, not a lot of posters on here, but a lot of average mid limit players and online players.