Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Consider folding this flush?

haven't read other responses, but after the the reraise on 3rd, it seems likely that he has a big pair in the hole. Folding to a 3 bet after you make an obvious flush vs an open pair is an annoying, but is usually the right play.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Results

So I lied a little in the post. In the actual hand, the villain was unknown to me. Still, I very much wanted to fold. I ended up calling, after typing "you really got a boat?" He had trip deuces, starting with either a ten or king kicker. I think an unknown you need to call down because they could be getting out of line. But against someone who is solid but straightforward, I think it's a tough but correct fold. He has pocket AA or QQ there more than 95% of the time. And when he only has trips he still sucks out some of the time.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Results

It was a little unclear the results. did you say that his final hand was 3 deuces?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a little unclear the results. did you say that his final hand was 3 deuces?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He had trip deuces, starting with either a ten or king kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Consider folding this flush?

You should do what is right.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He had trip deuces, starting with either a ten or king kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Buddy list!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Excellent calling down as you read the siutation correctly. As you said, the most likely holding for a player would be a high buried pair or a pair with a high kicker as starting. Too mnay people will try to push that paired doorcard hand regardless of your flush draw on board and as such you are going to be calling in that situation much more than you would be folding.

One's profit in 7 stud is not made by folding flushes in most situations. The profit is to be made elsewhere. good play here.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:05 PM

I'm afraid I disagree. I think you are either being results oriented or you don't know how to fold when you are beat. With the dead deuce and his raise on third after I completed, it was far more likely that he had a big pair in the hole than split deuces. Since he was an unknown, a calldown is correct, but if you know the player to be straightforward he has you drawing dead every time here. The only hands that truly make sense are (2A)2, (AA)2, (QQ)2, and if he's a solid straightforward player he has those hands and those hands only. Only if he has seen you make this sort of laydown is there any chance he's trying to make a play to make you fold, or if he's seen you semibluff in this spot. Here, it's pretty damn clear that I was calling on fourth with four clubs.