Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Consider folding this flush?

I have never seen the villain do anything out of the ordinary. He will make the occasional semi-bluff raise, yada yada, standard play at this level. Am I good enough of the time to call down here?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.80 SB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___double bets
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (5.40 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.40 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___?
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Old 12-06-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Consider folding this flush?

Ugh. Pretty disgusting spot considering aces and queens are TOTALLY live and the dead deuce makes his play indicate aces or queens up on 4th as much more likely (as well as his 3rd street play to begin with). I think you're drawing stone dead when he reraises 6th with one card to come and you can save the $80 for Mortons when you come in.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 PM

Yeah I'm definitely fearing being completely dead here. I do have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], so there is one ace gone.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:07 AM

Yea, I missed that. But I still think you're F'd if this guy isn't crazy. I mean, would he really raise you on 3rd with ducks just cause one of your 9's is dead? And if he did, it would probably be something like (A,2) 2 to which you're still boned. I think AA or QQ or KK buried is most likely. And when he reraises on 6th, I think KK is extremely unlikely since he should fear a flush from you. If he is crazy aggro, it would be different. It's tough, but I think I fold this.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2005, 02:18 AM

No, you lose.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:21 AM

At game speed I probably call down knowing that I'm probably just giving away money, fold is probably the right play.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 AM

I assume that if the villain is very aggressive and could bluff or semi-bluff here, a call down is mandatory. What if the villain is a complete unknown? Call down also?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM

After his reraise of you on 6th, there are 10.4 bets in pot. I think there is enough money in pot to call him down. You really need to be very sure before you start laying down flushes on 6th street. I would call.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 PM

I'm getting exactly 13.4:2 on a calling down, so I need to be good more than 13% of the time for calling down to be positive EV.

I understand your inclination to call down; after all, we have a very strong hand. But it's pretty obvious what our hand is, and he doesn't seem to be afraid of it. After his 3-bet on sixth street his hand range is quite narrow.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 PM

I know a number of players, even at the 5/10 level that would make the reraise with just the trips, not being full yet, even if they are aware of your flush. Some of these players will raise until the river with their trips and just check on river of they did not hit hoping also that the flush will also check fearing a check raise. It is true that your flush is apparent as is his paired door card. so you are each aware of each others possiblity and he said "the hell with your flush" with his reraise of you. But like i said, i have seen others make such a move hoping you will fold and knowing that they still have one more draw for the boat.

I still want to call here. What did you do and how did the hand play out?