Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: A9o from SB

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop seems weird to me. Is this your standard play? I dont really like to isolate myself with a player that has posision on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isolating myself against someone who limps with stuff like A4o isn't a good thing? His PFR% is 5%, so I most likely have the best hand here, if he had a better A he would have raised it. I felt this hand is largely read dependent, if BB had a high VP$IP I would have limped (not sure if that's correct or not, but OOP it feels better). Just trying to explain why I played this hand this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think youve got it a little backwords here. Him having a lower PFR makes it much more likely he has a better hand as he will limp [censored] like AJ and stuff.

And him having a higher VPIP means hes much more likely to limp all kinds of crap that you are well ahead of, so the higher the VPIP the more you want to raise this hand, not less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt like if he AQ or better he would raise it, in this instance there is a slight chance I'm behind to AJ or AT but more than likely I'm ahead. I understand a lower PFR means he's raising quality hands and probably not stuff like A9s and the higher VP$IP is the more likely my hand is to be better. Thank you for making sure I was clear on this point.

My raise PF was based more so on the read on the BB and less on MP, I'll take a HU situation with this MP with this hand (which I was 95% sure I was going to achieve) vs. a 3 way with this hand.

Perhaps I'm wrong, if so, please let me know why and where my thinking is flawed, I appreciate any advice I can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt mean to imply that I didnt like the PFR because the other guy had a low PFR. Just wanted to point out that it makes it more likely that its possible he has a better hand, not less.

I like your raise for the reasons you mentioned, its pretty easy IMO vs this BB and a single limper. Also in a 1/3 or 2/5 blind structure id raise this from the SB rather than call anytime I was going to play it.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:46 PM

Hey Rusty,

I think isolating is fine if you have position. Here, you're out of position with a decent A. You're saying that you could be behind AJ or AT, but what about stuff like 77 or 88? Yes, we're about 50/50, but we're out of position against a relatively unknown player. Yuck.

I think in general, we're about even with MP here, but being out of position makes this a call. I'd really like to know more than just "25% VP$IP".
Old 11-27-2005, 06:35 PM

Only thing I'm not crazy about is the river 3-bet. He raised you on the turn and river when there were 3 flush and then 4 flush cards on the board. There's a very good chance he's up against a flush here and yet he raised again. Unless he massively overplays trips or weak flushes I don't see the value of a 3-bet.