Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Default A9o from SB

Absolute Poker .5/1 6 handed.

BB here is incredibly tight with 6.7% VP$IP after 74 hands, I knew he'd fold if I raised PF, I was pretty sure I'd be HU with MP.

MP has VP$IP of 25%

Preflop: Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB
1 fold, MP limps, 2 folds, Hero raises, BB folds, MP calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP calls.

I love this flop.

Turn: (3.5 BB) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP raises, Hero calls.

flush? a slow played 3? I'm not sure, I figure I probably need the flush to win now.

River: (7.5 BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP raises, Hero 3-bets, MP caps and Hero calls.

When he capped I knew I was toast.

played ok? play any street different? PF raise correct?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: A9o from SB

A 25% vip means he isnt a total donk so he should see the 4-flush and paired board. How often does he raise with Qd? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I would play it like you but after looking at it, I really think you should just call the raise.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:29 PM

Preflop seems weird to me. Is this your standard play? I dont really like to isolate myself with a player that has posision on me.

Other than that I dont see how you could play it different. I dont think you could c/r the river to keep it at three bets. It sucks to get capped but sometimes you still win.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:30 PM

nah, well played. If this was at a different limit or you had a great read (ie. a good player), you could fold to the river cap.

nh
Old 11-27-2005, 03:31 PM

yoou played it fine
Old 11-27-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you should just call the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct, he knew I raised PF, when I lead that river I'm screaming I have a flush and he still raised me regardless. However, we're giving him alot of credit if he had the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to actually think "SB raised PF so he might have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]".

Villians PFR% is only 5% too and he tends to be more passive than aggressive, I've played against him a few times in the past couple of days.

I got over exicted when my flush hit, and thought a FH was highly unlikely here. I need to slow down here and think.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop seems weird to me. Is this your standard play? I dont really like to isolate myself with a player that has posision on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isolating myself against someone who limps with stuff like A4o isn't a good thing? His PFR% is 5%, so I most likely have the best hand here, if he had a better A he would have raised it. I felt this hand is largely read dependent, if BB had a high VP$IP I would have limped (not sure if that's correct or not, but OOP it feels better). Just trying to explain why I played this hand this way.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isolating myself against someone who limps with stuff like A4o isn't a good thing? His PFR% is 5%, so I most likely have the best hand here, if he had a better A he would have raised it. I felt this hand is largely read dependent, if BB had a high VP$IP I would have limped (not sure if that's correct or not, but OOP it feels better). Just trying to explain why I played this hand this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think youve got it a little backwords here. Him having a lower PFR makes it much more likely he has a better hand as he will limp [censored] like AJ and stuff.

And him having a higher VPIP means hes much more likely to limp all kinds of crap that you are well ahead of, so the higher the VPIP the more you want to raise this hand, not less.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think youve got it a little backwords here. Him having a lower PFR makes it much more likely he has a better hand as he will limp [censored] like AJ and stuff.

And him having a higher VPIP means hes much more likely to limp all kinds of crap that you are well ahead of, so the higher the VPIP the more you want to raise this hand, not less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt like if he AQ or better he would raise it, in this instance there is a slight chance I'm behind to AJ or AT but more than likely I'm ahead. I understand a lower PFR means he's raising quality hands and probably not stuff like A9s and the higher VP$IP is the more likely my hand is to be better. Thank you for making sure I was clear on this point.

My raise PF was based more so on the read on the BB and less on MP, I'll take a HU situation with this MP with this hand (which I was 95% sure I was going to achieve) vs. a 3 way with this hand.

Perhaps I'm wrong, if so, please let me know why and where my thinking is flawed, I appreciate any advice I can get.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:21 PM

I play it the same. Easy 3bet on the river and then you gotta call.