Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Re: The pre-flop call was stinky...

I think your giving to much credit to your opponent for critical thinking...and I think you might be over analyzing your own plays.

Maybe and probably.

This was .50/1.00 -- semi-bluffs are non-existent.

It was $.25/$.50 and not true. I won at least one hand on a semi-bluff with a flush draw.

I gurantee that your opponenet wasn't trying to figure if you were putting a "move" on him. To me it looks like a bad player calling the worst pair all the way down to the river.

Maybe, but I was showing some curios hands and had gotten caught in a bluff or two.

Don't get me wrong, if you were winning money, and not just pots, this way - more power to you.

I was up over 10 BB when I left to reply to this thread and well, get dinner.

You said you were bluffing alot - I *RELISH* that type of player at my table. - perhaps the reason this poor player "got HU" with you is because the rest are waiting for a hand to punish you with. (In my mind calling you down with a pair of 2's isn't it)

It was a pretty weak table; I just tried to take advantage. If he had folded to me on the turn or river he would have gotten a star by his name. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TC,
pf
Old 10-31-2003, 12:15 AM

Default Re: When you don’t get rivered

I need to find a table where all my opponents play "fairly well" seems like a goldmine to me.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:51 AM

I need to find a table where all my opponents play "fairly well" seems like a goldmine to me.

The loose enough/weak-passive tables at Paradise and UB are a goldmine.

I guess you had to be there. If he had not called me down he would have been marked for a turn/river bluff in the near future.

It’s all relative to the table. I just came off a $1/$2 5-max table that re-defined poker, for me at least. Sheesh, crack, suckle (SO) and pop. There are no rushes say the sages, at least not until you look back. Oh yea, tell that to my 50 BB loss. I had to figure out semi-intelligent suckouts and bluffs just to keep from totally sinking. It was a costly blast. Hey, and I’m pretty good at 5-max. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sometime you’re the windshield and sometimes you’re the bug. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TC,
pf
Old 10-31-2003, 04:44 AM

I think I would raise the flop. Why didn't you? Because it got heads-up?

Peter
Old 10-31-2003, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you had to be there. If he had not called me down he would have been marked for a turn/river bluff in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but it really seems like you are trying too hard to bluff people who are basically unbluffable. I wonder how much unsuccessful bluff attempts contributed to your loss.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:30 AM

I think I would raise the flop. Why didn't you? Because it got heads-up?

Yes. I wanted to see if I could raise him on the turn, although it was a little surprising that he bet when the overcard came.

I wish I could have discussed the hand with him because I found it kind of interesting.

TC,
pf
Old 10-31-2003, 11:43 AM

No offense, but it really seems like you are trying too hard to bluff people who are basically unbluffable. I wonder how much unsuccessful bluff attempts contributed to your loss.

No offense taken. The loss came at a $1/$2 5-max nighttime table at Paradise. The hand I posted was from a $.25/$.50 10-handed daytime table at UB. I was up around 10 BB when I left the UB table.

As far as unsuccessful bluffs contributing to my loss at the Paradise table, well yea that was part of it. OTOH, 5-max requires some bluffing, at least I think so. I just requested my last 99 hands from that table. Maybe I can find something interesting to post.

TC,
pf
Old 10-31-2003, 12:07 PM

I'd raise the flop here, your Jacks are vulnerable to over cards.

Other than that I think you played it fine and I'm not sure why you posted the hand, care to elaborate?

Peace,
JT
Old 10-31-2003, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my opponent played his hand fairly well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opps, I totally missed this. On the flop his bottom pair bluff is interesting but as soon as he gets callers and raised on the turn, it's time to quit.

Peace,
JT
Old 10-31-2003, 12:43 PM

I'd raise the flop here, your Jacks are vulnerable to over cards.

Part of my adjustment to these weakish games has been to slow down a bit. I’m trying to get some money out of the BB streets.

Other than that I think you played it fine and I'm not sure why you posted the hand, care to elaborate?

I’d been reading some “bad beat” posts and thought I’d post a hand that didn’t get rivered as contrast or something. I made a horrible job of it.

Here is a point that may help never players who are getting frustrated. When a player sucks out on you watch them carefully for a while. Watch them fold on the river or show 8 high. Watch them miss bets when they have a good hand. Notice all the mistakes they make and how ultimately their stack will dwindle. After that maybe you won’t feel so bad when they catch a hand on you.

TC,
pf