Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: p;ay this differently?

I’d usually just call on 3rd, but I think it’s pretty close actually. Yeah, 7CSFAP says to call here, but it uses $15/$30 and up as it’s model games. I’d think that at $15/$30 people need some kind of hand to limp; a bad hand maybe, but not as bad as what people limp with at $1/$2. In other words, a hand that has quite a bit more equity.

So - when you’re in this spot at $15/$30, you’re edge is probably quite small. At $1/$2 though, I’d expect it to be quite a bit bigger. And this means you should be completing more often in these spots than at higher limits.

Although - really only slightly more often, because of the structure. The half-bet bring-in makes completing for value less attractive then, say, the quarter-bet bring in at $20/$40.

One other thing to consider is how often / with what type of hands the player(s) to your right will bet on 4th. This is something I watch out for and take notes about a lot. Some people will bet almost every time with almost every hand on 4th (but rarely complete on 3rd). Some always bet when they catch a scary-looking card. Some almost never bet.
Obviously, if one of these bet-every-hand players is on your right you should be less inclined to complete on 3rd. Just wait for 4th and then thin the field.
On the other hand, if they are all total calling stations you should be more inclined to complete since there is no way you can thin the field on 4th (or later for that matter).

These are just some general thoughts though. There’s really no question that just calling is the better play in this hand.
But if, say, your kicker was completely live and the players on your right are total calling stations… I wouldn’t mind completing.