Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 PM

Default p;ay this differently?

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (2.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Call
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Bring-in
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Fold
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Call

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Bet___Call
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Bet
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Fold
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Fold
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Fold

5th Street - (6.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Check___Call
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Bet
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Call

6th Street - (10.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Call
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Check___Call
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Bet
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Call

River - (14.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___Check
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___Check
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Check
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___Check

Total pot: (14.75 BB)
Old 11-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: p;ay this differently?

Who bet on 4th? Seat 2 or you?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:00 PM

Complete 3rd for value. Start building a pot &/or thin the field. Bet the river. Your board is not threatening, & no one has shown strength, so you should get calls from worse hands.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:06 PM

I agreee with ben here. You've gotta build a pot on third when you've got the likely best hand and give the other guys a reason not to chase, which they will clearly have odds for since almost everyone stayed in for forth.

I like the raise on forth, no one has any kind of threatening board.

5th is good

6th is good

7th bet away, no one really looks like they even have a draw here.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Seat 2 bet first, I raised.

I debated completing 3rd but opted not to since a completion here would not have gotten rid of anyone yet would have built a rather large pot giving people the right odds to chase on 4th and later. I thought keeping the pot smaller would give me more leverage on 4th.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agreee with ben here. You've gotta build a pot on third when you've got the likely best hand and give the other guys a reason not to chase, which they will clearly have odds for since almost everyone stayed in for forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, this sounds a little contradictory. If I complete who is going to fold on 3rd? No one is the answer. Yet now the pot will be really big for 4th and people will have even better odds to draw on me. I felt waiting for 4th and forcing more people to call two cold would better protect my hand. I can see the argument for value raising 3rd, but it just didn't seem right for some reason. I'm sure others will argue a value raise was warranted as well though.

[ QUOTE ]
7th bet away, no one really looks like they even have a draw here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was this reason I didn't bet. It seemed too wierd that three people would chase without having something I decided my queens up was not strong enough to bet. In hindsight I think I was just seeing monsters where there likely weren't any.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know, this sounds a little contradictory. If I complete who is going to fold on 3rd? No one is the answer. Yet now the pot will be really big for 4th and people will have even better odds to draw on me.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thinking is that betting on third puts it in peoples head that you have a big hand. They may call on 3rd but It will be tough for them to call again if they brick on 4th. Most likely they will be making a mistake if they fold on forth or even fifth since the pot will be huge they have odds to draw to pretty much anything. I just like to let them know that they shouldn't call you later in the hand because you've got a hand and your going to bet the whole way with it.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:54 PM

Anyone says to do anything except for call on third is mistaken. Those guys Sklanksky, Malmouth, and Zee know what they are talking about.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:30 PM

Ok some people think complete thrid but your instincts are absolutely right. Completing thrid will build a massive pot that they will then be correct to chase. At 1/2 stud players rarely think about whether they are correct to chase or not, it is really impossible to knock people out at all. Just let them make mistakes by calling a double bet on 4th. I think you played it fine, but I would not bet seventh. I would check-call, your hand is not strong multiway really. My first post here, woo-hoo.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone says to do anything except for call on third is mistaken. Those guys Sklanksky, Malmouth, and Zee know what they are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I just did a once over of multiway vs. heads up section of 7csfap. I guess I sorta got a wrong idea in my head when I first started out here, one of my first threads was if you should raise in a situation like this (best pair against a lot of callers) and the overwhelming response was to put in a value bet here.