Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Re: if you disagree with him, you are a shorthanded fish.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly how good players (including myself) play high stakes shorthanded. A hand like 45o, and 610s are usually 100% raisable on the button.
If the table is very tight I will start raising worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a comment to my post? Are u agreeing that u only call a lot in BB and not 3bet because it will give your hand away?

If u call button in BB u are out of position whole hand. Is there not a point in geting your money in when u are ahead if u are out of position? Calling out of position with a better hand makes no sense to me, specially not against a good player who will use board to make u play wrongly postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I like the only who noticed that D'Ag's button strategy (aggro, pressure pressure pressure) is designed to take advantage of D'Ag's weakish BB strategy? Why doesn't he list a better counter strategy to his own style of play?

Along these lines, Stellar suggested that just calling from the BB was generally superior to reraising if the button is raising frequently. Can you guys explain why/if this is true?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: D\'Agostino\'s short-handed advice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
YEp, he says:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to three-bet from the big blind because it tends to announce my hand. My opponents know that I'm starting with a very big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solution is to 3bet more, not stop 3betting.

U can raise him from button or SB with any cheese and he doesnt play back at u, makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. Sure, you have to play back, but who says you have to play back preflop?? You've got 3 more streets to "play back." Just calling with strong hands preflop is wise in a lot of situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are talking about when you are in position, the SB or BB reraises, should you cap or wait til the flop, correct?

If not, then isn't being out of position the reason that you want to get more bets in early when your hand is a favorite?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:42 AM

I think I first reacted badly to the article because, reading it quickly, it seemed like he was implying or stating that one should call from the bb virtually all the time, which I really doubt he meant.

The more I think about this the more I come up with the obvious point that mixing your play is best. I like the idea of just calling from the bb about 2/3 of the time (of those times that you see the flop) and 3-betting 1/3 of the time, provided that one is careful not to 3-bet with just the best hands.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
provided that one is careful not to 3-bet with just the best hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Idd, I also think that hands like QT are easier playable postflop when u 3bet pf against a frequent stealer. This way u create alot of fold equity on the flop when it's A or K-high (it's easy to give up on the turn when u get called). And ur made hands will get paid of more often.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
provided that one is careful not to 3-bet with just the best hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Idd, I also think that hands like QT are easier playable postflop when u 3bet pf against a frequent stealer. This way u create alot of fold equity on the flop when it's A or K-high (it's easy to give up on the turn when u get called). And ur made hands will get paid of more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you start 3-betting too often out of the BB, you're not going to create a lot of fold equity against a tough stealer, you're going to start getting played back at a lot postflop.

If you 3-bet that QT and the flop comes A73 rainbow, and your bet gets called or raised, what do you do? Against overaggro blind defenders, I'll often call or raise this flop with a hand like J9, and they'll end up folding the best hand in a 9 or 10 small bet pot.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:10 PM

I should have said that when u 3bet QT pf, u should just call ur better hands (and c/r the flop for example).
Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: if you disagree with him, you are a shorthanded fish.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly how good players (including myself) play high stakes shorthanded. A hand like 45o, and 610s are usually 100% raisable on the button.
If the table is very tight I will start raising worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a comment to my post? Are u agreeing that u only call a lot in BB and not 3bet because it will give your hand away?

If u call button in BB u are out of position whole hand. Is there not a point in geting your money in when u are ahead if u are out of position? Calling out of position with a better hand makes no sense to me, specially not against a good player who will use board to make u play wrongly postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I like the only who noticed that D'Ag's button strategy (aggro, pressure pressure pressure) is designed to take advantage of D'Ag's weakish BB strategy? Why doesn't he list a better counter strategy to his own style of play?

Along these lines, Stellar suggested that just calling from the BB was generally superior to reraising if the button is raising frequently. Can you guys explain why/if this is true?

[/ QUOTE ]

just calling is good for your marginal hands that may or may not be better than dags. hands like qj, a4, k6 etc. these are better than dags range but by 3betting you create a large pot out of position with only a slight advantage. dags will certainly adjust and be willing to call flops with as what is likely 6 outs even if undercards.

i would reserve 3betting for your primo hands like kj, a10, 77 and throw in a couple goofy hands like 87s every once in awhile.