Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Re: I WANNA MAKE A PROFIT!!!!!!!!!

You cannot escape the fluctuations. If you fail to raise unless you are SURE you are giving away far too much money. This will NOT "insure you break even", it will "insure you lose": money you fail to win is just a much a loss as money to call hopelessly.

And besides, how much can a "loss" cost you at the micro-limits? Going broke when you have a job really only means you don't play for a week. That's not a disaster to be avoided at all costs.

- Louie
Old 10-20-2003, 01:48 PM

Default Throw Hellmuth\'s book away. EOM

Old 10-22-2003, 08:51 AM

I started with Hellmuth, but found I could do no better than break even also. Read HPFAP and started beating the low limit games at Party. Am now reading Jones and Theory, and wish I'd started with them. Am beating the $1/2 game regularly, but keep getting spanked at $2/4. I only have about 300 hands at $2/4, but am very risk adverse, so I move up, lose $100+, move down, win it back, repeat.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here is my 4-step program to success:

1. pick up hellmuth's book
2. pour lighter fluid on book
3. light match and drop it on book
4. go pick up winning low limit hold 'em and the theory of poker and reread each until you've absorbed them. then start at small stakes and move up as you win money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Crock I disagree. You should never destroy such a valuable money making tool as Hellmuth's book. Just give it to a "friend" who wants to learn poker and reap the benefits. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2003, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heck i dont even play AQ off, or AJ off, maybe i should fix my game, i just started playin AK

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've got a problem that can't be fixed with books or advice. If you are playing so tight that you don't even play AQo, then you simply aren't getting involved in enough hands. Without getting into more hands, you aren't going to develop your post-flop skills.

Your comments about KK are rather absurd.

If you're playing no-limit, you should stop and move to a limit game where you can gain experience by playing a reasonable number of hands.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:50 AM

i tend to value my friends too much to watch them lose their money, and i doubt my enemies would trust hellmuth's book if i suddenly gave it to them.

i took the easy route and sold mine on ebay, only losing a couple dollars off my purchase price. that felt good.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:14 PM

Well, because not everyone's willing to risk their entire tournament calling with anything less than the pre-flop nuts(i.e., AA or KK), Hellmuth's going all-in with JJ isn't necessarily a losing play in PL or NL tournament competition. He seems to do okay.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:23 PM

Actually, Hellmuth pretty much hates preflop all-in confrontations. He's a much more conservative tournament player than Ivey, Hansen or Flack.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:15 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

nice post
Old 10-24-2003, 06:11 PM

I do the very exact same thing! I am also a relative beginner. Been in very loose friendly home games for a few years, but just in the past few months began to play seriously on-line. I think my impatience along with my limited bankroll for poker causes me to become very timid at higher limits. I normally do very well at low limits and in tournaments because of the limited potential loss. I'm much more aggressive with good hands, whereas it's very easy to make me fold a hand at higher limits unless it is the nuts or very close. More often than not, I know the "correct" play, but just can't make myself pull the trigger at the higher limits. Does anyone have any jedi mind tricks to overcome this other than just having a bankroll big enough to make the limits you are playing seem relatively small? I've read Theory of Poker, HEPFAP, and Super System, so I guess I'm going to have to read Hellmuth's book just to see what all the hubbub is about.