Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2003, 07:08 PM

Default Re: SNG\'s/Hour and Hourly Rate

The average time of a Party SNG I play takes about 30 mins.
So you would really only be playing 2 at a time.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:01 PM

I think the $52.80 would be possible, for a top player with tons of sng experience. I've played mostly 10+1's, but I've strayed to the 30+3's many times out of boredom with an underfunded bankroll waiting for a 10+1. In my limited sample (maybe 25 of em) they are tighter, but not much tougher.

More realistic for a mere good player would be maybe playing 2 an hour at the same nice roi (still $25+) Not bad, and a lot less pressure. Then again due to my sorry monitor and hillbilly ISP I suck playing multi games, So I'm "stuck" playing 1. The way I've been smoking them lately though, I'm not sure that's a bad thing.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:52 PM

If you often finish in money, average time per tournament is 40-45 minutes, plus waiting time, you can get about 3 games per hour playing two tables. Winning player can usually get 15%-25% ROI. A few player may get more than that, but it is as hard as getting more than 2.5BB per hour on a 3-6 game. If you are highly experienced, you'll probably get a result in between 2-4 and 3-6 game with a bit lower variance.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:44 AM

This may be a bit off the subject but it seems to be a concensus of this thread that sng's at party take less than an hour. I don't play at party (at least not yet). I play sng's regularly at stars (and prefer the 2-table's); however rarely do the 1-tables take less than an hour. What make the sng's go faster at party? Does party seat 10 versus 9 at stars, or maybe the blinds increase at a faster rate? Thanks in advance.

KC
Old 10-18-2003, 12:30 PM

It is a little tougher at Party than Stars (especially Stars 2 tablers), but still very doable..playing 1 or maybe 2 at a time. I don't think you can play 3 or 4 and get enough of a read on the other players to know how to play them when you get to the bubble. In the late stages you are playing the player, not the cards.

Youll still get in the money about as often, but you wont have as high an average finish.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:23 PM

The blinds at Party go up extremely quickly and the players depart quickly too, meaning the blinds go up even faster(every 10 hands is quicker with five players than ten)

Lori
Old 10-19-2003, 03:22 AM

That and you start with less chips (800 instead of 1500) at party.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:06 AM

For 3 weeks I played Party's 50+5 SnG's 35ish hours/week. My breakdown was 26/16/15. I'm not a very experienced SnG player but I was still able to make $64.25/hr. The blind structure is horrible and there is all-in abuse all the time, but the horrible players kind of even those things out. I actually just cashed out of Party though, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do for money now. We'll see...I have enough saved up to hold me over for a few months without having to work, so I have a while to make up my mind.

But if you're thinking of playing SnG's "professionally," you could give it a try. You'll need an adequate bankroll though, as the standard deviation will be higher than your limit ring games. It does get tiring and monotonous though. I could only play for 4 hours at a time before I lost my edge and needed to go socialize with friends or whatnot. I'm not sure if it's something I'd like to do for the rest of my college years or not...but like my friends tell me, I'm making about 6 times what they are at their jobs, so I guess it's worth it. I just love the game so much that I don't want it to lose the enjoyment I have for it by making it my "job" and start seeing it as a chore. But hey, I guess if it pays the bills...I already bought a new truck off of my poker winnings ('03 Frontier, I love it!) and it's the only source of income I've had for the past 6 weeks to pay my bills, but it's already starting to lose a bit of it's fun for me. I think I might take a break for a while...

Anyways, enough of my rambling.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:35 PM

Redhotman: There are plenty of people who make 50% ROI at 50+5 and above, though most of them probably play one at a time.

GuyOnTilt: SD for SNG's is typically lower than ring game SD for the same win rate. (factor of 2 or so)
Old 10-19-2003, 03:42 PM

When you say 26/16/15 is that your percentage of 1st/2nd/3rd? Thats pretty impressive to be winning 26% of the SNGs given the crapshoot it turns into at the end with the blinds and stack sizes. Any advice on how you managed that?

Once I make it in the money, Im pretty consistent on 1st/2nd/3rd (24, 27 and 24 respectively - those arent percentages but number of times). I figure that once I make it to heads-up Im more or less winning 50% of the time so I dont feel I need to specifically focus on that part of my game. Im still fairly inexperienced so Im just working on my overall play.