Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 11:44 PM

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!! Party Poker 5/10 6 Handed

I somewhat disagree that 36% is too high...It depends on how your calculating though. You're on teh blinds about 33.33% of the time. That accounts for a lot of your preflop play.

SH, you can't wait for the same premium starting hands. Because less people are at the table, starting hands are going to be worse. Waiting for a premium hand will slowly drain your bankroll

I agree...you definately have to bluff on occasion, but like someone said earlier. Pick your spots. Know who to bluff against. If your against someone that always calls down with A high, don't bluff with K high. You want somewhat of a reasonable chance of winning if your called. I don't know how many times I've "bluffed" with Ace high, been called, and won anyways.

Anyways, thougth this looked like a good running forum and would add my 2 cents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nathan
Old 10-03-2003, 07:10 AM

I've been playing them over the last three weeks or so and there are a few things to note:

1) You have to identify which of the three player types you are facing:

a) Shorthanded grinders; the people you see every day. Identifiable by those that raise preflop selectively and do not limp too much.

b) The fish; you see them for a day with a fair amount on the table, and then not again. Identifiable by those that call preflop unselectively and often.

c) The low limit tilters trying to get even/burn their last chips. Generally a low limit player burning off the last of his BR or trying to get even for his 40 big bet loss in .5-1. Identifiable by those who sit down with less than the $250 auto buyin. Know that these players are looking to hit and run FAST and are probably going to be playing very weak tight.

I'd suggest you get PokerTracker and identify some more meaningful numbers, specifically your preflop raise % and your checkraise % (indicators of how aggressively you are playing and how you are punishing the aggression of others which is important in 6 handed). Flops seen in 6-handed is very deceptive as losing even one player affects this heavily, and the difference between a passive game and an aggressive game will force a major change in this number. Showdowns won % is also important as each hand that goes to showdown is usually going to be headsup or close to it and had been that way for the whole hand, so you can't afford to drop too far in this number since half the pot is your contribution (unlike ring game play, where you might contribute a third to the the pot, meaning you can cruise along as long as you are above 33% showdowns won).
Old 10-03-2003, 02:07 PM

36% isnt too high on Party Poker on avg. I think its quite
low...There are a lot of loose limpers. You'll be
playing more hands on the button in unraised pots
unless the game is very aggressive...Plus I find
that you get more free looks in your blinds.

How you play your hands preflop is more important
than deciding whether you should play 35% or 42%.
This is dictated by your opponents post flop play.

I don't know how many times I've "bluffed" with Ace high, been called, and won anyways.

Not a good idea to be bluffing with A high on most
boards in this game for that very reason.

36% is about right for paradise 5/10 5 max tables.