Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2003, 11:39 PM

Default I NEED HELP!!! Party Poker 5/10 6 Handed

OK, I'm frustrated beyond belief. This is the juiciest (seemingly) limit game I've ever seen. But, I'm not making anywhere near the money I feel I should. I'm going to give some numbers, so others with experience in this area can tell me how much I can improve.

I'm making just over 1 BB per table. About 1.2 actually. This is appalling to me. I'm sure an expert player can easily cover 3 BBs per table per hour and possibly quite more.

So, I think I'm in a short term bad luck streak. Here are my numbers for today:

36% flops seen
33% win percentage if flop seen
13% hands won

1200 hands (small sample)

Also, numbers for yesterday were quite similar.

I'm extremely aggressive postflop when I have the best hand. The biggest leak in my game may be calling people down too much when they hit a hand and I was leading on the flop. I "look them up" to make sure they have it and they usually do.

Ok, so if you have been doing much better than me in this game - can you give me some advice? Maybe even watch me play a table for an hour or so? Hehe - doesn't hurt to ask right?

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks,

soda
Old 09-18-2003, 01:02 AM

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!! Party Poker 5/10 6 Handed

i have played these games recently, normally 2 sometimes 3 tables at a time

you stats look about right to me - 36% is perhaps a tad high but winning 13% of the hands is ok - i would say that i normally won around 13% in these games when 6 handed and although i havent kept decent, detailed records 13% normally meant i was comfortably in front

33% won of flops seen - seems low to me which suggests that it probably is just a bad streak - i lost $1200 in these games in around 20 hours when i first started - which was very annoying - after about 100 hours i was +$2500 and moved on

i think its good to be aggressive in these games and its ok to keep them honest by calling them down from time to time - the one thing i wouldnt do is bluff - you make $$ in these games because of the disparity in your starting hands and because they will chase any sort of draw all the way and call you down on the river in case you bluffed (they are not good enough to notice that in fact you never bluff)
Old 09-18-2003, 02:17 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I also find it best just to never bluff. I think, the flip side of this is to value bet nearly everything. I'm even starting to pick the right times to value bet into obviously straight boards. Also, value betting into a 4 flush board when I have a high 2 pair or set is something I'm working on.

Anyone else playing in these games?

Thanks again,

soda
Old 09-18-2003, 04:39 AM

hi Soda,

Also my prefered online game is 5/10$, but I play at pokerineurope. However, it doesn't matter.

I don't agree fully with stripqueez. Even in this game a seldom bluff can be worth, especially when you've got position. I myself rarely bluff either. The bucks come from good starting hands, which leads my to a conclusion, if I see your stats. It sais 36% of flops seen, which says, that you play more than every third hand you get. You can't tell me, that you get a premium or mediocre hand worth playing every third time? Otherwise you would be very, very lucky. So it seems as if you just play too many hands, which get you sometimes in trouble, when you hit second best hand.

I don't know if I'm right, but think about it. My advise is, stick by the premium hands and play them tough. You may take some bad beats, but they will still pay out.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2003, 11:27 AM

Do what I'm going to be doing soon (I've been playing the 5/10 Party tables a ton recently as well) -- post a bunch of hands and ask for comments.

I'm seeing about 43% of flops myself, but sometimes the table drops down to 5 or 4 folks. That doesn't seem high to me, but I may be wrong -- I mean, this does include the blinds. I probably could stand to be tighter.

I don't know about the no-bluffing rule though. Depends on the table -- I've been at tables that a pre-flop raise would steal the blinds almost half the time. Probably should have just left the table [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But if you stay, I think you have to bluff. So many of those games are headsup at the flop, if you never make a move I think you're cheating yourself.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:01 PM

4859 hands played
flops seen 38.07 %
Won $ If flop seen 33.08%
hands won 14.51%
$ won $1748.00
Total Rake $937
BB/hour 3.25
BB/100 hands 3.60

What's your name on Party? I play under ZeeJustin.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:47 PM

I suspect your marginal win rate is due to the aggressiveness of the play on these shorttables. What I would suggest is watch the other aggressive players closely many times an aggressive player creates a tilted image, but when he smashing hard he is smashing outs or has the goods, keep notes, on the players as this will help.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:38 PM

43% - your preflop number does seem a bit high, BUT I leave games when it gets to 4 handed or shorter and find another full game.

Also, I'm sure an expert could play 43% of the hands. I don't know if you are taking 3 BBs an hour off these tables. If you tell me you are, I promise to loosen up though!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh - and the bluffing thing is, as you say, conditional on the game type. Had 2 games at about 3 am that were rock gardens. This was great! I was actually able to win pots just by bluffing! I adjusted very well to this type of game as my natural tendencies are aggressive.

Thanks for your response!

soda
Old 09-18-2003, 04:43 PM

Excellent stats!

Thanks for the post.

One question for you - do you like to play multiple tables or focus on one at a time?

Thanks,

soda
Old 09-18-2003, 05:24 PM

Usually I play two tables at a time; sometimes 3. People come and go so much that it's hard to get a read on the way anyone plays. The main reason I don't play 3 tables is because it's harder to notice when a table isn't as profitable as it was when I sat down. I think table hopping is a necessity for these tables.