Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Common situation

I think it being raised pf gives you more incentive to do it and makes it the right play.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:56 AM

youre acting like there is zero chance to win the pot without a showdown.
im saying raise and pound to win it, or at least knock ppl out who may have made something when you make a pair... i wouldnt raise to knock out someone w/ a bigger J and "clean" 2outs... that wouldnt be worth much...
i think raising or calling depends alot on game conditions so i certainly shouldnt have said this was "automatic"... clearly it is not.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
youre acting like there is zero chance to win the pot without a showdown.
im saying raise and pound to win it, or at least knock ppl out who may have made something when you make a pair... i wouldnt raise to knock out someone w/ a bigger J and "clean" 2outs... that wouldnt be worth much...
i think raising or calling depends alot on game conditions so i certainly shouldnt have said this was "automatic"... clearly it is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to bully 6 people out of a huge spot seems like an -EV play to me.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would you rather be heads up and pay three bets on the flop, or pay one bet and have 5 people on the flop? This looks like a call and I don't think it is very close.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is simply dead wrong, If a raise by the hero will increase the heros chances of winning this large pot by even a few percentage points than a raise is the right play. In this situation the hero should raise the flop, if he gets 3 bet so what, thats the risk the hero must take. You must understand that winning a large pot 36% of the time is much better than winning a large pot 32% of the time. These numbers are made up, but you get my point.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 AM

Default I believe it\'s about a 50/50 split

Any other opinions?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I believe it\'s about a 50/50 split

I like a raise. Firing at a pot with a big draw can never be too wrong and it will help define your opponents' hands. Furthermore, it would suck to let the guy with a 3 in there, have him make trips on the turn and end up putting in 2-3 BB to draw. Same goes if J or 9 hits, somebody hits their gutshot and you're stuck paying a bunch of big bets to draw to a hand that will no longer make the nuts. Plus, its fun and it partially disguises your hand since people will be more apt to think you just have top pair.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: I believe it\'s about a 50/50 split

nobody advocating a raise has swayed me. I still think a call is clearly correct.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would you rather be heads up and pay three bets on the flop, or pay one bet and have 5 people on the flop? This looks like a call and I don't think it is very close.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement is simply dead wrong, If a raise by the hero will increase the heros chances of winning this large pot by even a few percentage points than a raise is the right play. In this situation the hero should raise the flop, if he gets 3 bet so what, thats the risk the hero must take. You must understand that winning a large pot 36% of the time is much better than winning a large pot 32% of the time. These numbers are made up, but you get my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

my opinion is that obi's original statement is correct, and the second quote is incorrect. I don't think it's close, but it does depend on the proclivity of your opponents to call 2 cold.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 PM

I like calling in this position.

Were I the button, I'd raise to try to get a 1/2 price card on the turn.

On the CO I mix it up with a tendency to raise if there are already several customers in the pot.