Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Need analysis of key live hands from MTT

Against a made hand AK is a drawing hand. In other words if you are up against a pocket pair you need to draw to win.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 PM

In other words a pocket pair needs to draw 5 cards thats not A or K versus you? Does that make PP drawing hands as well? I just think it's a silly way of thinking of startinghands. What matters is how much of the time the hand will win, not how.

But it's not my intention to hijack this thread with my nitpicking. Go on.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:06 PM

Hand 1 looks fairly standard. You have a great starting hand and are only worried about AA or KK. Since UTG has been LAG there are too many hands he raises with that you have beat. If the CO had AA or KK he would have reraised instead of smooth calling to get the pot heads up.

When UTG pushes and CO pushes over the top it's t1250 for you to call with t3150(main pot) and t500(side pot). Overall you are getting 3:1 and are either up against two under pairs, under pair and AK, under pair and AQ, and possibly AA/KK from the UTG(can't rule it out). Easy call considering the odds and the fact that if you lose you still have t2000.

Hand 2, you say that UTG is TIGHT aggressive. This makes your call very bad as it commits almost 1/7 of your stack with a hand that even if it hits you are likely to be dominated. If the flop comes J high or T high you could easily lose alot or all your chips to a large pair or to a better kicker. JT suited is a great hand for the early stages when you have implied odds because of the deep stacks but facing a raise from a TAG in early position you need to fold this.

On a side note if it folds to me here this is a good enough holding to raise the blinds and possibly reraise a late position raiser depending on your reads.