Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Need analysis of key live hands from MTT

Game:NL HE
Buy in:65.00
Starting Chips:2000
Blinds open 25/25 15 minute levels
Players:49
Pos Paid:1-5th

Level 3 50/100

I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the dealer button,UTG(Player is loose aggressive) opens a raise
to 250 folds to the cutoff(Tight player) who cold calls. I have about T4000 and
raise to 750 to go.UTG pushes all in for 1500 total cutoff pushes all in for
2000 total making it 1250 on top for me to call...I decide based on his cold
call that the cutoff doesnt have aces or kings to make the call.

UTG 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Cutoff Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hand 2: Level 7 200/400 blinds ante 75
My Stack:6800

10 players left, I am in the cutoff with j10 suited [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG(Tag) raises to 1000 total I
call Dealer position(no read) calls. Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG checks I check Dealer checks,
3c on the turn checks through again river is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG bets 1000 I push all in
for 5725 Dealer folds,UTG calls shows K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

thoughts or comments
Old 09-29-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Need analysis of key live hands from MTT

Hand one: The odds here is 3,52 to 1 to call so I would have called this one too. I would think that I am atleast up against one made hand here and hopefully AQ from the CO. But since you said you don't think he got an A or K to make that call I would call even more putting myself at 6 outs vs him for the side pot.

Easy call.

2) I like the push here since you obviusly think that he is bluffing but I would like to see a raise on the turn here trying to represent an 3 or a slowplayed flush. But I like the push on the river here, too bad he had KK.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:06 PM

Just my own wrong opinion ....

Hand 1: I don't get the preflop reraise. You already have a UTG raise, which indicates some strength. Then you have a late position cold call, which also likely indicates strength. You find yourself with a premium hand, but it is a premium DRAWING hand, that is already likely way behind.

IMHO, far better to call here rather than reraise, which as you found out, put a substantial portion of your stack at risk for a 3-horse race in which you are starting at best 2nd and at worst 3rd.

Maybe it's just me, but this is not the kind of position I'm typically looking for to be betting rather large chunks of my stack, especially when the money is so far away.

Hand 2: You bluffed and got caught. What else is there to say? Can't really analyze more than that because you don't give any info of your stack size relative to your opponents.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:20 PM

Hand 1 looks good.

Hand 2 I don't like so much because though this bet looks like a steal after getting checked around it could also easily be a slowplay that was trying to check raise on either the flop or turn and missed. He let you see all 5 cards for cheap with a drawing hand; you totally missed your drawing hand. Just be thankful he didn't continuation bet the flop and gave out free cards by the ton, and let him have it now.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 PM

Can't believe you've had 3 or 4 responses and no-one's said

HAND 2: FOLD PREFLOP!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:37 PM

I was pretty sure he had a dry AK but you are right, I coulda found a better spot, but I was surprised to see kk
Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 PM

Level 3 50/100

I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the dealer button,UTG(Player is loose aggressive) opens a raise
to 250 folds to the cutoff(Tight player) who cold calls. I have about T4000 and
raise to 750 to go.UTG pushes all in for 1500 total cutoff pushes all in for
2000 total making it 1250 on top for me to call...I decide based on his cold
call that the cutoff doesnt have aces or kings to make the call.

UTG 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Cutoff Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it fine. I might have reraised more preflop or if you're comfortable postflop just calling is probably fine too. I prefer the reraise and would've made it 1000 or so. Actually, looking at their stacks (1500 and 2000) I would've just pushed preflop, if either of them calls they're completely committed.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: Level 7 200/400 blinds ante 75
My Stack:6800

10 players left, I am in the cutoff with j10 suited [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG(Tag) raises to 1000 total I
call Dealer position(no read) calls. Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG checks I check Dealer checks,
3c on the turn checks through again river is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG bets 1000 I push all in
for 5725 Dealer folds,UTG calls shows K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
thoughts or comments

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is awful. You shouldn't be calling off 1/7 of your chips preflop ever...especially against a tight UTG raiser when you have JTs, will miss the flop 2/3 of the time and even when you do hit, have no idea if your hand is good. The rest of it is fine, I don't often bluff-raise the river, so I probably would've folded. I think you'll see a half-decent number of flopped nut flushes from UTG, but he still might fold enough for it to be profitable.

Steve
Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 PM

What the heck do people mean when they call AKs a drawing hand?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the heck do people mean when they call AKs a drawing hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, on top of the high card value, you're also drawing at a possible flush or straight. 3 possible ways to win the hand are better than one.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:35 PM

Ok then. They say it like its some kind of weakness though.