Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Flush draw mayhem

I'm not being sarcastic. I completely agree with you. Internet message boards really mess up the actual tone of a post.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:25 AM

So what are the circumstances necessary to attempt a semi-bluff raise here?

Headsup, small pot, semi-thinking non-maniac opponent? Anything else?

By small pot I mean unraised.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:25 AM

I agree, sorry we got our wires crossed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Headsup, small pot, semi-thinking non-maniac opponent? Anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats pretty much it for me. Its just that I seem to get knocked off my semibluffs too often when I try them with position against a pfr - though I would be interested in other's thoughts.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 AM

In this case you have to look at the actions of your opponent. He raised pre-flop for a standard amount, so unless he is the type to raise with anything, you have to assume he has a legit hand. Next, he was the first to act on a Q high board with a flush draw and he came out betting. With this much action coming from him, and with him in early position you have to assume that any attempt at a semi-bluff just isn't going to work.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM

And what's wrong with the preflop call? Not trying to be argumentative, I seriously don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its just a little loose. You have to think that a raise with a call before means that you've got to be behind at least one of them.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 PM

I think you played OK.

Calling with Axs is VERY loose, but is a thing I think needs to be done sometimes to stay unpredictable. Not all the Axs, but just once every now and then.

The reraise to 15 (3*his 5) was good. But you should NOT HAVE CALLED his 3-bet. You should have pushed all in.
That is obvious, since as the hand played out you didn't get to see the river.

On the Q62 flop, you only need to fear QQ. Against all other likely hands you are OK with 9 Nut-flush outs, and possibly 3 Aces to hit. His KK is actually an ideal hand for you.

This is especially true if you make the same play when you hold 22 or 66 in the same situation, or 2pair flopped straights on other flops in similar situations (2-flush board).
There is just no way that the raiser will know if he's up against a set or 2p or a draw.

So the mistake was primarily to call instead of push the flop. Also, be selective about when and who to call preflop with Axs. This guy probably wans't ideal since he bet big on flop - if they often are passive on the flop, Axs goes up in value somewhat.

I just posted a thread on the criteria to go by - hope it gets answers!

/Jaxz
Old 09-28-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played OK.

Calling with Axs is VERY loose, but is a thing I think needs to be done sometimes to stay unpredictable. Not all the Axs, but just once every now and then.

The reraise to 15 (3*his 5) was good. But you should NOT HAVE CALLED his 3-bet. You should have pushed all in.
That is obvious, since as the hand played out you didn't get to see the river.

On the Q62 flop, you only need to fear QQ. Against all other likely hands you are OK with 9 Nut-flush outs, and possibly 3 Aces to hit. His KK is actually an ideal hand for you.

This is especially true if you make the same play when you hold 22 or 66 in the same situation, or 2pair flopped straights on other flops in similar situations (2-flush board).
There is just no way that the raiser will know if he's up against a set or 2p or a draw.

So the mistake was primarily to call instead of push the flop. Also, be selective about when and who to call preflop with Axs. This guy probably wans't ideal since he bet big on flop - if they often are passive on the flop, Axs goes up in value somewhat.

I just posted a thread on the criteria to go by - hope it gets answers!

/Jaxz

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope your joking......why get your money in with a draw and the worst of it. Call the $5, Fold the turn and wait for a much better spot to put your money in
Old 09-28-2005, 12:46 PM

Your pre-flop call was bad since you're playing strictly for flush value with that hand. I don't see anything wrong with your flop action. It's not the ideal situation to semi-bluff, but it's not that bad either. This time you ran into KK against an aggressive opponent, but who's to say he can't have JJ, TT, or AK in which case you can make him lay down the best hand. If villain wasn't that aggressive and had AQ, KK, or AA, he might even let you see a cheap river.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Fold preflop. Maybe im being a little tight here, but i dont think you had any business in the hand to begin with.
But lets say you call anyways. Smooth call the continuation bet to see the turn. If he bets out on the turn, you can be pretty sure he has a legit hand . I would look at the pot odds and make my decision from there.
If it's checked to you, take the free card and hope a club falls.