Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 03:59 PM

Default 400 hours a month?

Is that humanly possible, do you eat and where Depends infront of your monitor? (yes I was being cheeky, but....) That is about 13 hour days, every day? The buronut factor would be extreme, I work out of the house and I can only play about 25 hours a week before I get too bored or stressed._
Old 09-09-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Are we past Fishy Peak?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm keeping my fingers crossed WPT Year 3 is on ESPN (Year 2 on Travel Channel I guess).

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this would be nice. Crossing fingers won't help though. Travel Channel has locked up the next 5+ years. I don't remember how long exactly, but there has been an exclusive contract drawn with WPT and Travel that will last quite some time.

The part that sucks is the fact that many people do not get Travel. The good part is that Travel is more than happy to sell commercial time to online sites. The ESPN exposure may be greater in terms of viewers, but the Travel Channel will funnel more players to the games because of their more liberal marketing policy.

Old 09-09-2003, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Career Internet players

Hey JayCo, I've found the games to be much easier both late night and early morning though I can't tell you what happens to make it so. Not a fan of afternoon/early evening. But from about 11:30 p.m. to 9 a.m. I find the games very easy.

This is fantastic, obviously, but it does make me wonder. The truth is, I make money on Party b/c there are so many people playing so poorly. I'm not sure this is as much to do with my skill (what little it is) as it is to do with a lot of people drawing to just a couple of outs. In better games, I wonder how I would stand up.

But yeah, the games are definitely softer nights and early mornings, though I don't know why weekends would be different unless people are drinking while they play.

I don't get much Fri/Sat night playing in though.

I just started tracking and have the stats at home (~20k hands so far in PokerTracker so too smalla sample) but I think my win rate on Fri/Sat nights is ~5-10BBs/100 hands vs ~1-2BB/100 hands during the weekdays.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:03 PM

When I'm playing, I play a decent number of hours per week - probably around 50 - 60 for an average. The good news is, I don't watch TV anymore. Poker is just much more fun.

Also, with my switch to NL - I'll play any time of day and in just about any game and do well. NL is a fascinating game. If you have an edge over your opponents, it doesn't matter how good they are, you'll still take down the money. In limit, I believe if your opponents are pretty good - it reduces your earn more than in NL. I don't know if this is true - any comments welcome.

Anyway, I firmly believe that someone who committs completely to playing poker for a living, studies hard, plays harder, and has a good mentor can make 40k the first year. I don't know too many people though who are willing to work this hard for a measly 40k.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Are we past Fishy Peak?

[quote
Travel Channel has locked up the next 5+ years.

The good part is that Travel is more than happy to sell commercial time to online sites. The ESPN exposure may be greater in terms of viewers, but the Travel Channel will funnel more players to the games because of their more liberal marketing policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I think I would rather have 1 million viewers bombarded with Grandma and Grandma playing PartyPoker at home in thier underwear than 5 millions viewers on ESPN with no online ads.

I wonder why the ESPN WSOP coverage has exploded to be so poular THIS year though - all due to the WPT?

Old 09-10-2003, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The truth is, I make money on Party b/c there are so many people playing so poorly. I'm not sure this is as much to do with my skill (what little it is) as it is to do with a lot of people drawing to just a couple of outs. In better games, I wonder how I would stand up.

But yeah, the games are definitely softer nights and early mornings, though I don't know why weekends would be different unless people are drinking while they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup - my "big win" session notes always seem to tip the cap with a thank you to one or two two nutzos donating $$$ and playing lousy.

As for the weekend effect, I think people who play full time for a living have no choice but to play Mon-Fri (i.e., every day) and the recreational / drinking / fishy ones are working all week or not up all night during the week because they have to get up for work. Except us junkies who stay up till 4am and crawl into the office [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

As for the graveyard, either I'm too tired to play or the games aren't as good due to the above, but my results are at best so-so from 2am to 6am Mon-Thurs.

J
Old 09-10-2003, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My monthly tally is in excess of 400 for at least 10 months a year, although at my limits this is a neccessary evil.

The upside is that you choose the time, so, even though you have less hours spare, you take them at the times you need them the most
Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! Lori, I don't know if I should be impressed or round up an intervention group for you By the "less hours spare", you must mean every other Monday from 2 to 6 am break you give yourself, whether you need it or not. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] You certainly are dedicated.

I am curious, though - you're obviously a successful pro, so have you done any real deep drill analysis or data mining to check out when it's worth your time to play? I mean analyzing how you play, but on trying to find ways to make the same or almost the same $ in fewer hours? Do you use PokerTracker to compare days/times/games/sites to max out earn rate or just jump around and play when you're in the mood and the game looks good?

I don't really have the discipline to play or not play based on when it's most profitable. When my 15-month old daughter and wife are both asleep and I'm sitting in my comfy chair with a cup o' java and some tunes on, I'm playing if the preflop action is under 10%, dammit!. I'll find the best game I can, but if they are all mediocre, I play anyway.

Just curious how someone clearly grinding much harder than me and playing as a working pro chooses where/when to play.

J