Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: River decision, AA and get check-raised

If this guy plays 57o, yeah he may have straight or two pair and also have you beat. The board is raggy so it if he likes to play rags you could be in trouble.

but there are a ton of raggy hands you will still beat, and i don't think a b/f is bad, i tend to b/c until I have a super solid read, just based on principle.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:05 PM

You have to call a check raise on this board against this guy. The reason is that he might think he's ahead with a pair. The board is all low cards and you might have been trying to push eveyone around with just overs. He is clearly agressive and might be C/R happy. I'd call expecting to lose but not 95% of the time. I can fold this if I have a much better read but your read of him having the goods last time he C/Red makes me think you need to pay him off again in case he's taking a shot.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:08 PM

No offense, but this is 2/4 Party. How much attention do you think he's paying to the game? He might not even know I paid him off last time. Remember this is not a good player.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but this is 2/4 Party. How much attention do you think he's paying to the game? He might not even know I paid him off last time. Remember this is not a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming players aren't paying attention is not a good idea. Bad players, especially aggro ones who like to C/R, tend to get very personal about this stuff. They get in pissing contests and try to pull expert plays when they shouldn't. They are usually paying more attention than we are as they generally play one table and play very intensely. They usually think they are better than they really are and make fundamental mistakes but it's not because they are distracted or inattentive IMO.

Don't talk yourself into folding in these spots. Talk yourself into calling. My rule of thumb is that if I can't come up with a logical reason why a player would make a certain play with a hand I beat I fold, if not I call. I call a lot and see all kinds of crap in spots like this. Making expert folds with overpairs HU against aggro players on the river is not a great recipe for making money. Neither is assuming they're not paying attention.